Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Conditions and Expression manager at LS1.92RC1

Conditions and Expression manager at LS1.92RC1 2 years 3 months ago #71478

• VBraun
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi,

this is just short feedback on LS1.92RC1 which I installed recently.

I tried "Expression Manager" but I found it quite difficult. I may be overlooking something but I found only "Relevance equation" field at question where I can enter expression. To enter expression using previous questions is really difficult because you do not see those questions. When I used old condition designer it entered expression for me but it was not editable (probably by purpose as I found in documentation). I do not know how exactly is Relevance equation and old Condition designer integrated but it would be nice if Condition designer could create expression, which can be further edited in Relevance equation field. Condition designer could be used as some kind of GUI maybe before new GUI will be developed.

Also it could help if Replecament fields can be accessible at Relevance equation field like they are accessible through Editor at Question or Help field.

I have also one note to problem with default user and password at RC1. It took me some time to find out that there is a problem in this release and dig out solution somewhere from French forum. Why do not you update text about LS1.92RC1 stating that there is such problem and solution is this and that? It could save some time and frustration for people trying to test it.

Thanks for further development of LS,
Vlada
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by VBraun.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Conditions and Expression manager at LS1.92RC1 2 years 3 months ago #71480

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 81
VBraun-

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps the documentation on the wiki page are not sufficiently clear, so let me address your questions here and plan to update the documentation.

As it seems you discovered, if you use the conditions editor, it generates a Relevance equation for you. The reason that equation does not appear editable is that we assume that if you used the conditions editor, that you want that to over-ride the relevance equation. So, it is a bit tricky to be able to manually edit relevance. To do so, you need to:
  1. copy the relevance equation into a text editor
  2. go to the conditions editor and delete all <a href='docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=Setting%20conditions'>conditions</a> for that question
  3. edit the question (where relevance will now be blank), and paste in the relevance equation from the text editor
  4. further edit the relevance equation as you see fit

This way, people can continue to use the conditions designer as a GUI until we come up with a better GUI for relevance equations. So, you are exactly correct that our goal was to let people who like the conditions designer to be able to continue to use it.
VBraun wrote:
Also it could help if Replecament fields can be accessible at Relevance equation field like they are accessible through Editor at Question or Help field.

By this, are you asking whether we can have the replacements editor box use the WYSIWYG CKEditor editor and the Lime Replacement Fields button so that you can insert {INSERTANS:SGQA} or the equivalent, and see those variables color-coded yellow?

If so, the long term plan is to use CodeMirror to create a GUI for editing equations. This supports things like auto-completion (so could provide look-up of prior questions by question code), and syntax templates (so if you want to use a particular function, it inserts the relevant parameters and may provide tool-tip-like links to the documentation for that function).

Lastly, as to the default user and password, sorry you had trouble finding the posts with solutions. The solution is listed in the third post about the 1.92 RC1 release here, plus in the French forum. More importantly, however, it has been fixed, so when we release RC2 (hopefully next week), this will no longer be an issue.

/Tom
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by TMSWhite. Reason: missing link

Re: Conditions and Expression manager at LS1.92RC1 2 years 3 months ago #71490

• VBraun
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi,

I read that part about copying to editor etc. before I posted my comment below, but it is a bit funny way to use GUI. Maybe before new GUI will be in place there may be a button called "release conditions" which will clear conditions but expression in Relevance equation will stay and can be edited.

Take it us just some thoughts of pure user without any actual programming knowledge.

My best regards to you and the team,
Vlada

Re: Conditions and Expression manager at LS1.92RC1 2 years 3 months ago #71491

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 81
Vlada-

That's a good idea, and would not be hard to implement at the question, group, or even whole survey level (e.g. if you want to release conditions for the whole survey with one button).

The main caveat, and reason for doing things the way we've done, is that although conditions are fully forward-compatible to relevance, relevance can be so much more powerful than conditions, that there is no way to continue using the conditions GUI for a particular question after you have modified the relevance equation.

/Tom
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
Donation Image