Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: question index

question index 2 years 6 months ago #67439

• Eddie_V
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
the question index when present on a survey really slows limesurvey down.

This get worse (page loads of 5-10 seconds, 0-1 without the index) dependingon how many groups/pages are displayed on the index.

Does limesurvey recalculate the index everytime someone clicks on next?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67457

• Eddie_V
  • Senior Lime
I tested the same survey without the question index and the performance was normal, less then 1 second response time to load the next or previous page.

so the question index really is slowing things down on large surveys

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67463

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 719
Hello,

Maybe you can leave a export of the survey, then we can have a look.

And:
Please test if the problem still exists at the latest release. If so please open a ticket at the bugtracker and...
  1. Give as much information as possible
  2. Attach your survey. You can mark your ticket "private" so that only the developers will be able to take a look at it.
  3. Provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem.
  4. If possible/helpful please provide screenshots

Afterwards please post the link to the bugtracker so we can follow the progress.

Thanks!

:)

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67464

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 81
This will be fixed in 2.0. In 1.92, it LS does rebuild the index every page, and requires at least one database query per group (and possibly a db query for every question in every group if there are many conditions), before the current question. In 2.0, there is only a single database query per page regardless of survey length.

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67465

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
Question is if it is just the DB query causing the problem. Somehow the index seems to be the culprit. Did you test in question by question mode?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67473

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 81
Mazi-

It's a combination of problems - basically the index needs to first check conditions to see whether the index element (whether question or group) should be displayed, and then check the session variables to see whether any questions within that index item were unanswered (so it can color-code it red). I'm nearly done moving all that functionality to Expression Manager, which will replace the way the index is built and managed.

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67485

• Eddie_V
  • Senior Lime
Shnoulle wrote:
Hello,

Maybe you can leave a export of the survey, then we can have a look.

And:
Please test if the problem still exists at the latest release. If so please open a ticket at the bugtracker and...
  1. Give as much information as possible
  2. Attach your survey. You can mark your ticket "private" so that only the developers will be able to take a look at it.
  3. Provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem.
  4. If possible/helpful please provide screenshots

Afterwards please post the link to the bugtracker so we can follow the progress.

Thanks!

:)

unfortunatly I cannot leave a copy of that survey for various reasons

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67488

• Eddie_V
  • Senior Lime
TMSWhite wrote:
Mazi-

It's a combination of problems - basically the index needs to first check <a href='docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=Setting%20<a href='docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=Setting%20conditions'>conditions</a>'><a href='docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=Setting%20conditions'>conditions</a></a> to see whether the index element (whether question or group) should be displayed, and then check the session variables to see whether any questions within that index item were unanswered (so it can color-code it red). I'm nearly done moving all that functionality to Expression Manager, which will replace the way the index is built and managed.

I can understand why the index needs to be rebuild if you skip several groups to a later page, but I cannot understand why it needs to check again when it goes just 1 page up, it should only check the new page and all the rest will stay the same right?

When you say Expression Manager you mean LS 2.0?
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Eddie_V.

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67494

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
Eddie, the index is checked each time because there might be chained conditions and the like. All this can get very complex. As for now I can only recommend to disable the index if it loads too slow. Maybe you can also test on our online demo if this is reproducable there:

demo.limesurvey.org/admin
Username: admin
Password: test

As for the bug report: I doubt that anybody will touch this because of the complexity and the fact that the Expression Manager at the upcoming Limesurvey 2.0 will probably deal with it.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: question index 2 years 6 months ago #67496

• Eddie_V
  • Senior Lime
Yeah I understand, unfortunatly this survey without an index is unaccepable. And also it has to run normally :)

So I have a problem I think, gonna give the machine alot more CPU power and make it dedicated for just 1 survey and see what it does.

Then dive into the code myself to see if I can make some adjustments that will help the speed.

I also understand that no-one at the community would touch it if its being delt with in 2.0 anyway. But 2.0 could be more then 1 year in the future for all we know right?
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Donation Image