Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: source-ordered templates: screenreader accessible

source-ordered templates: screenreader accessible 3 years 10 months ago #51199

Hi,

I am working on an assessment list that has to be accessible for people that use screen-readers.
I tested a ccs template (mint-striped), and this was generally okay. One of its features is not really user-friendly: the positioning of the help-text.

My question is: is it possible to change the css-based positioning of the div's that together form the question-template: to make it more source-ordered?

As I saw in the testing of the existing template, it is sometime not clear for someone using a screen-reader what-is-what: is a text the text of a question, or is it an explanation.
As I understand it this is why:
People that look at the screen never have this problem: you read the question, look at the help-tip that explains how to answer, look at the answer-filed, and check below if you do not find the question self-explanatory. After checking the help-text, reading it completely or skimming it or ignoring it, you answer the question.
These tasks are done more or less parallel or in a loop.
People that use a screen-reader do all their tasks sequentially: they can not easy "see" back or ahead in this line. They have in other words a different work-flow.

The easy solution will be to change the order of help-text and answer-text. And I will probably do this for my current project. The easy solution honours the work-flow of the screen-readers, above the logic of the people who use their eyes to look at the screen.
This means that the help-text always comes before the answer-text; that I delete the help-tip, and put that at the end of the help-text.

However: I find in using templates for Joomla (the open source website software that runs the limesurvey-site) that these templates are nowadays "source-ordered". This means that a search-engine reads the important parts of a web-page before reading the rest.
It is explained in this presentation: Joomla SEO

Is it technically feasible to develop such a source-ordered question template for limesurvey?
This would put the order of reading for a screen reader as described above: question, help-text, help-tip, answer-field. But visually the order would be like it is today: question-text, help-tip, answer-field, help-text.
By doing this we get optimised situations for blind people that have to use screenreader-software to read the survey, and keep the existing lay-out that works best for people that use their eyes to read the survey.

Cheers,

Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:source-ordered templates: screenreader accessible 3 years 10 months ago #51203

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 801
Why you don't edit the template to move {QUESTION_HELP} before answer ?

I take a time (if i had time ) to update citronade to be more screen-reader friendly, but you can do it too ;).

Re:source-ordered templates: screenreader accessible 3 years 10 months ago #51211

Hi Shnoulle,

Thanks for responding.
I probably did not express myself in a clear way in my first mail. What you are suggesting I will probably be doing next: I called this the easy way in my earlier mail: it will be changing the layout to favour those that use screenreader-software. And is is okay.

But: it would be better, literally the best for both worlds, to have a layout that is source-ordered, and presents itself one way to screenreader-software and another way to visual-readers.

As I am capable enough to switch the corresponding div's (the easy way) I can do this myself.
But it is above my capabilities to make a (more) source-ordered template. I watched the u-tube movie that explains how-to-do this for a joomla template: I can follow the reasoning more-or-less, but I do not really get-it, and surely cannot handle it to change an existing limesurvey template, let alone make one myself.

So: any takers, or is it not possible at all?

Cheers,

Paul

Re:source-ordered templates: screenreader accessible 3 years 10 months ago #51224

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 801
Hello,

I understand good your problem !!

With Css , you can move a little div order, but it can be difficult to have in source:
<div id="question">The question</div>
<div id="help">The help text</div>
<div id="answer">The answer box</div>

and have visually:
The question
The answer box
The help text

Maybe it's more easy to use jquery to show The help text user are on the question or the answer (hover,blur ...).

Like i sais, i make some test, i search ... :)
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
Donation Image