Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52740

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
I hope Amit updates his test system regularly so users don't have to set up an SVN DEV version for testing but can simply use:
texens.5gigs.net/limesurvey_dev/admin/admin.php

username: admin
password: pass

Amit, can you have a look at the link jelo posted and share your opinion?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52742

• texens
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys,

There were no hits on the demo system and updating it every time there was a svn commit was a pain, hence I removed it. Anyways, I'll upload a demo version on my hp and share the link so that those interested can test it.

Regarding the File upload module, we're using a AJAX File Uploader module which is pretty cool and does a lot of things simultaneously such as passing file's metadata etc. And given our design, we have closely coupled it with our codebase. We can definitely use the Zend class for adding an encryption layer, but that will have to wait for a while.
In the process to move everything from POSTs and GETs to sessions for security reasons, a couple things broke in the uploader and am devoting all my available time (which is a little rare due to the full time job I have) to fix it.

Anyways, I'll make sure to get a demo version up and running to get some feedback from those following the uploader :)

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52812

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Thanks for your feedback, Amit.

Having a demo where users can test the latest file upload version is really useful, so please set it up and add the login details here.

It would also be nice to create a ticket at our bugtracker about the Zend class integration so we don't forget about it.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52832

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
Amit, thanks for response. My idea was to find out, if a dev demo running on limesurvey.org would bring more feedback to features, which are in development. Since you received no hits on your demo it can mean that the link and the promotion by us was not good enough. Or that not many people are willing to invest time in testing and debugging.

The Zend class was only FYI. No must, no way to go. Stick to your plan, no need to invest time in refactoring the code to use Zend at all. The core devs might can offer some insight, what policy the lime survey project is trying to stick to when it comes to external code like Zend Framework.

A way to encrypt files (like in the linked example) might be a useful feature request for the future. But no need to do it now. You have already invested a lot of time.

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52836

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
jelo wrote:
Amit, thanks for response. My idea was to find out, if a dev demo running on limesurvey.org would bring more feedback to features, which are in development. Since you received no hits on your demo it can mean that the link and the promotion by us was not good enough. Or that not many people are willing to invest time in testing and debugging.
I think it would be useful to offer a test system based on the latest SVN version. As far as I know the demo is automatically updated from SVN, having something like devdemo.limesurvey.org shouldn't be hard to set up.

What do you think?

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52838

• texens
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
Mazi wrote:
I think it would be useful to offer a test system based on the latest SVN version. As far as I know the demo is automatically updated from SVN, having something like devdemo.limesurvey.org shouldn't be hard to set up.

What do you think?

Mazi, that sounds like a nice idea. But theres one small catch though - unlike the limesurvey branch, in limesurvey_dev branch we often commit half baked stuff with a "Work in progress" message especially if its a new feature addition which might take a while to completion. In such a scenario, someone taking a walk through the dev demo might get a wrong impression that certain things are broken or they don't work. So, instead of automatically updating the devdemo from SVN, it would make more sense to trigger it manually. We can manually trigger it after some major feature addition or bugfix. I know its a little painful but given the aforementioned scenario, it is definitely required.

By the way, I'm uploading a demo version on my homepage for the time being. I'll share the link and login credentials as soon as it is up.

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52849

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Amit,
I totally understand your point. But manually updating such a DEV demo version won't work, it's too much work. Having a large "This is a NON stable test environment! Things might be broken" warning should do the trick.
Of course we only link to the DEV demo in certain cases, the common users is asked to use demo.limesurvey.org

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52889

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Here comes the test version:

URL: devdemo.limesurvey.org/admin

Username: test

Password: test

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52896

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
Nice. What modi is choosen to update devdemo? Automatically from the branch? Or by hand every few builds?

The current installation is lacking rights to the filesystem. At least that is the first impression from the error message.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/virtual/limesurvey.org/devdemo/htdocs/save.php on line 122

Warning: rename(upload/tmp/Bewerbungsunterlagen_Award_tcm462-59029.pdf,upload/surveys/32556/files/3jppmd6qr6pr488hnauk) [function.rename]: No such file or directory in /var/www/virtual/limesurvey.org/devdemo/htdocs/save.php on line 502
Error Moving file to its destination
Notice: Undefined index: lastanswer in /var/www/virtual/limesurvey.org/devdemo/htdocs/save.php on line 782

Re:GSOC 2010: File Upload Question Type 3 years 10 months ago #52904

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Thes devdemo system is based on the SVN version so it doesn't need to be updated manually. For more information: www.limesurvey.org/en/support/forums/20-...nt-test-system#52903

I'll check if it's a file system problem (in this case it will be solved within 24h I guess) or if it's code related.

Dr. Marcel Minke
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Donation Image