Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Setting conditions to exit after questions and ranking design

• meeko434
  • meeko434's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 5 months ago #113003 by meeko434
Hello everyone, I am a newbie and I have no experience in designing surveys and I am working on my doctoral dissertation and I need SOME MAJOR HELP. First, my survey is starting off with a few screening questions (type=drop down box) that shows different race, ethnicities, and employment statuses. I only want the survey to be completed by those with a specific race, ethnicity, and employment status and if it doesn't meet my inclusion criteria I want them to be directed straight away to an exit page with a participant disqualification briefing . I just can't figure out how to do that. :(

Also, I have a questions that is a ranking question and participants are to rank ONLY 3 options from the list given, however I need it to be a mandatory question. If I click No in Mandatory it makes them rank all the options. How do I fix that? Or is there a way I can use any other format to rank these questions. Also in the ranking question I have an option for other, but I need a text box so participants can write in what that other factor is. Can I add a text box to a ranking questions? PLEASE HELP!!! I have been reading the manual and can't figure it out, I was a little afraid to ask you all. But your help will be gladly appreciated! Thanks !!
The topic has been locked.
  • meeko434
More
9 years 5 months ago #113004 by meeko434
Also with the screening questions if they meet the conditions I need the survey to go to the welcome page where they can put in their email address and get an anonoymous code to complete the survey. I know I may be asking for alot but I am so lost
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 5 months ago #113005 by holch
Screening is usually solved by a so called zero quota.

You apply a quota to those questions/answers that are leading to a screen out and you can set the quota to "0", which means no one with this characteristic will pass on. Have a look at quota in the manual. Should be pretty straight forward.

Second question: You probably have to redirect them to a new questionnaire then.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: meeko434
  • meeko434
More
9 years 5 months ago #113006 by meeko434
Thank you so much! This may be a "less than smart" question but how would I do a redirect? Could I just make a new survey and somehow send the link to those that met the inclusion criteria. I'm so lost!! Thanks
  • holch
More
9 years 5 months ago #113007 by holch
Have a look at the end url feature. It allows you to put a URL and you can redirect everyone directly to this end url when they reach the end page.

All others (the screen outs or the ones that don't finish the first questionnaire completely) will not reach the end page and thus are not redirected to the second questionnaire.

However, why not just continue with the actual questionnaire after the screening questions? Do you really need them to register and to provide you with an email?

If you don't want them to continue directly, you could set the last question as the question for the email address. Then you collect the email addresses from this first survey and create a new survey with a token table based on these email addresses.

Getting the email and "anonymous" is a little bit of a paradoxon, given that the email is a quite private data. therefore it is best not to ask for it at all.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• meeko434
More
9 years 5 months ago #113008 by meeko434
I will take a look at the end of url feature. I can't just continue with the actual questionnaire due to my university's IRB board so I have to make them register for a code to access the survey.
  • meeko434
More
9 years 5 months ago #113066 by meeko434
I am having another issue that I just noticed. I set the quota to terminate the survey for certain answers but here is where I am having the problem. My screening questions deal with race and ethnicity. I want those you identify as White in the race question and Not of Hispanic origin in the Ethnicity question to be terminted. The way that I have the quota set up now will terminate the survey for anyone to who answers no to the ethnicity question. For example if someone answers Native American, non Hispanic they will be terminated . How do I set it that it will only set the combination of White and Non-Hispanic to be terminated but White and Hispanic to proceed with the survey. Hope that makes sense. Thank you for your help.
  • holch
More
9 years 5 months ago #113072 by holch
So you have two different questions? Could you show the questions and the items so that we can understand it better?

• meeko434
More
9 years 5 months ago #113075 by meeko434
The questions are in the attachment. The choices are as follows.
1. Yes/No
2. Yes/No
3. White
Black
Asian
Native American
Pacific Islander
Some other race
4. Yes/No

I have set the quota to terminate the survey if Question 1 is No, 2 is No, 3 is White, and 4 is No. The issue is I want participants who identify as White, Non-Hispanic to be terminated but those who are the other choice that may be Hispanic to proceed with the survey. Thanks
  • holch
More
9 years 5 months ago #113077 by holch
Hmm, so question 1 and 2 are not really relevant here, right?

So you want only screen out, when the person answers "White" AND "no" to question 4.

Unfortunately with quotas you have no chance to make a screen out based on more than one question at the same time.

I remember that I was told it would work with "scenarios", which is part of the conditions. But I don't see how I can screen out with that at the moment without adding another question or something. Maybe you can use a hidden equation question based on this scenario and then create the screenout based on this.

• holch
More
9 years 5 months ago #113081 by holch
I think I found an option how to create your screenout quite easy. You will need an equation question (that will later be hidden) and you need to check if in the race question White was chosen and in the ethnicity question non-hispanic was chosen. If this is the case write 'screenout' in the equation question.

Well, won't work, just saw that the equation question can not be used for quotas.

• DenisChenu
More
9 years 5 months ago #113088 by DenisChenu
Hi Holch,

Since this fix : github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/commit/...f3fa896cdb73d53c9800 : Fixed issue #07895: Quota are not tested for hidden question (relevance to 1)

You can use hidden questio for screenout too.

Then you can use an hidden "single choice question type" AND a equation with {QCODE=if(condition,"OUT","OK")}
To allow very hard screenout system.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose