Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scale questions - variable type in SPSS is string instead of numeric?

Scale questions - variable type in SPSS is string instead of numeric? 7 months 1 week ago #106282

• eemeli
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi,
what is the logic, what is the variable type in SPSS when LimeSurvey data is exported to SPSS? How can influence that before export?

My problem is, that I have survey with a lot of scale type questions, which in SPSS have become as string variables. The codes for answer options for subquestions are as L001, L002, etc or A1, A2 instead of just numeric 1,2,... Where these default codes come from?

Is the reason that I used the "regenerate question codes" -function, when the form was ready?

I would be much more convenient if the data would be in numeric form in SPSS as default. How shoud I ensure that in the future?

Thanks a lot!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scale questions - variable type in SPSS is string instead of numeric? 6 months 1 week ago #107542

• Fuson_G
  • Fresh Lemon
Dear Forum users!

I have the exact same questions:

1. variable type
After import in SPSS they are string variables instead of numeric variables

2. value labels (not: values)
By assining answer codes like 1, 2, 3 etc. the vlaues in SPSS are 1, 2, 3 etc. But: the value labels are still L001, L002, etc.

Does anyone have a hint how to solve these both issues?

Thanks alot!
Fuson

Scale questions - variable type in SPSS is string instead of numeric? 6 months 1 week ago #107562

• eemeli
  • Fresh Lemon
I solved the problem with SPSS's Automatic Recode fuction. With that you can alter automatically the L001, etc. values of the string variables as 1, 2, etc. Try that, is very simple procedure.

Scale questions - variable type in SPSS is string instead of numeric? 5 months 1 week ago #108528

• mdekker
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 68
You assign the answercodes yourself. If you used only numbers, it would have been numeric in SPSS too. Probably due to the regenerate question codes the values where changed to become A1, A2 etc.

If you want to export to SPSS all the codes you have for questions / answers will be exported so I don't recommend using th regenerate codes as that results in variable names without any meaning and possibly changes answer codes.
---
Menno Dekker
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
Donation Image