Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to decode sgqa identifier

How to decode sgqa identifier 7 months 4 weeks ago #102811

• fransmarcelissen
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 23
I have written a report generator in R for limesurvey surveys. I read the date directly from the mysql database, without exporting them ("select * from lime_survey_12345 where (etc)") (in this way many limitations in limesurvey can be solved. In the future I will write an article about it. My program has some problems that have to be solved first).
Now I have problems with the decoding of column names. The column names are the SGQA code of the question. For example: 225629X4X312 means sid 225629, gid 4, and qid 31, option 2. But 312 could also mean: qid 312. Is there a good way to decide which of both is the case? I want to give the extracted column names like "food2", just like happens in the spss and r exporter.
What I do now, is just try: if code 312 exists in the question table with the particular sid and gid, 312 is considered to be a qid, else strip off the last chararter, and try again. Of course this is not a smart "algoritm", but it works. There must be a better way.
Yes I know, SGQA code is explained in manual.limesurvey.org/SGQA_identifier, but there it is only explained how to construct the code, not how to decode it. And yes, I know the solution must be buried somewhere in the php code, but where?
Limesurvey guru's: I will be grateful for the rest of my life, and I am willing to give a donation if my problem is solved, just when my program is ready. Limesurvey is the best survey software in the world, but i can become just a little bit better/more general.
Frans
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to decode sgqa identifier 7 months 4 weeks ago #102814

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 302
I am sure that 312 in this case can only be the question ID and not a mix of question ID and option.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

How to decode sgqa identifier 7 months 4 weeks ago #102816

• fransmarcelissen
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 23
What makes you so sure? In fact you are right, but what do you think of 225629X4X691? That _is_ option 1 of question 69...... qid 691 does also exist, on another survey. So probably one has to look at the sid and gid.
Frans
Last Edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by fransmarcelissen.

How to decode sgqa identifier 7 months 4 weeks ago #102820

• supercosh
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 9
I would also be interested in an answer, in my online report generator I did it the same way as you did, Frans - and was wondering if there would be a smarter way. I noted on my todo list to analyze the source code in LS regarding that, but hadn't found time yet to do so.

Regards,
Gregor

How to decode sgqa identifier 7 months 4 weeks ago #102827

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 799
HI,

If it's done in SPSS, surely we can do it too in R.

Please :reprort bug or feature request.

How to decode sgqa identifier 7 months 4 weeks ago #102830

• supercosh
  • Junior Lime
Hi,

Okay, well if it's working without "the hack" in SPSS, than I will have a look at the code. When the feature request is reported and I find a solution, I'll contribute it.

Please update in here, I subscribed the topic.

Regards
Gregor

How to decode sgqa identifier 7 months 4 weeks ago #102831

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 799
Hi,

Maybe you can use :
viewHelper::getFieldCode($field);
Some where ?

How to decode sgqa identifier 7 months 4 weeks ago #102864

• supercosh
  • Junior Lime
Hi Denis,

Thank you for the hint. I have checked the function viewHelper::getFieldCode() and getFieldText(), but those functions require some field array information and won't lookup the texts in the model/database. The first step would be to get that array.

What we are looking for is a way of passing the SGQA Code (and the language) to a function and the return value being the question text / label.

After christmas I'll start looking deeper into that, but if you could give me directions on which classes or even methods to start, I'd be very grateful!

Regards,
Gregor
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
Donation Image