Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 5 months ago #93718

• Teddian
  • Fresh Lemon
I have been working on a social network analysis survey for the last month. I've been able to work around most of the questions but there is one that is troubling me for a couple of days.

The question asks the interviewee to answer which of the companies he knows or doesnt know from, ideally, a table of companies. I am a new user of Limesurvey but I haven't been able to find this option of creating a table, with each cell representing a company, and an option button for users to select some cell (and the corresponding company).

Anyone knows if there is a way around this?Or maybe a way to create this template?My programming skills are not up to the task unfortunately, so a starting point would be very helpfull.

Thank you very much in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 5 months ago #93762

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 802
Not sure i understand right, but:
Multiple choice question type ?

Denis

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 5 months ago #93767

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 313
ideally I would do this with the multiple choice question type, just like Denis. You just add a list of brands and they mark the ones they know.

If you want to force them to choose between "know" and "don't know" you'll need to create a matrix question with 2 point scale.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 5 months ago #93769

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
if this is not what you are after, just show us an example (ideally with a mockup).
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 4 months ago #94595

• Teddian
  • Fresh Lemon
Hey everyone!Thanks for the answers, it was actually an easy way to do it with multiple questions. My new issue is tricky though, for real.

What I want to do now is to collect the lines (that is firms) for which the interviewee answeres that he/she knows and place them in a new array, in order to ask additional questions on the nature of their relationship.

I know how to do this, on a line by line basis, with a simple condition. But that would mean I would have to add 400 or so more conditions and questions. Is there a way to do this in one go? That is populate an array with the answers containing the "i reckognize" option.

Thank you very much in advance.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Teddian.

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 4 months ago #94605

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Actually, this is pretty simple.

If I got you right you want to ask an array question where the answers options are only those brands that they marked as known in the previous multiple answers question, right?

So here is what you do:
1. create the multiple answer question with the brands as answer options
2. create an array question with EXACTLY the same answer options (must be also the same answer code.
3. Use the advanced function array filter on the array question and give the question code of the multipe answer question to filter on.

In this case in the array question only those brands that have been marked as known in the previous question should be shown.

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 4 months ago #94606

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
And here you'll find the info about the array filter:
docs.limesurvey.org/Question+type+-+Array+(Texts)#Array_filter

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 4 months ago #94610

• Teddian
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you very much for your quick response. I am afraid that I failed in my description again.

Both questions are array questions, or at least that's how I've implemented it atm. That is, the first question is an almost 400-long array with brands as lines and 2 options in each line/brand: reckognize/don't reckognize.

My second question will be a follow up to the first. So I only need the brands that the user defined as "reckognized" in the first question, to be the lines of the second array question. Is this still possible with the way you describe?

Thank you and excuse me if this is answered somewhere else.

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 4 months ago #94613

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hmmm, I don't think that you can filter an array by another array, at least not with the array filter.

Maybe there is a way to do this with javascript or EM, but this will be quite a bit more complicated.

Maybe some of the EM/Javascript experts can help here.

Limesurvey;Social Network Survey, help with a difficult question 1 year 4 months ago #94615

• Teddian
  • Fresh Lemon
To be honest your way isn't bad at all. So I tried to follow the instructions. Made two questions, one multiple choice (code=test) and another array (code=test2). Then I copied the multiple choice elements to the array, put 'test' in 'array filter' option. When I run the survey I get the multiple choice question correctly but the array question shows nothing (where the names of the brands should be) but the answer options. Also selecting elements from the multiple choice question does nothing to the array. :(

Am I doing something terribly wrong?
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Donation Image