Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Designing a new question type, a type of extended array

Designing a new question type, a type of extended array 1 year 2 months ago #92118

• Raptor
  • Fresh Lemon
I have installed LimeSurvey 2 for our college, and students can take part in the surveys if they want. Lime survey has been a huge huge help so far.

There is only one problem that I have to solve by the end of this week, or else I would get fired and a new guy would take my place, or at least that's what I am guessing might happen. Here it is:

There is a section in our survey that we have this question: "How much do you think this strategy would be effective?" then the participants have to choose a number between 1 and five, based on how effective they consider that sub-question. After that we need to know two more things about that sub-question: "Have you ever done this before?" answers would be yes or no, and then "Do you know anyone who has ever done this before" again the answers would be yes or no. In a much simpler way, I want to have a question section like the one shown in the attached picture:

Survey3.jpg

How should I do that using the lovely LimeSurvey2?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Designing a new question type, a type of extended array 1 year 2 months ago #92119

• Raptor
  • Fresh Lemon
I am not sure if this topic belongs to this category or not, so feel free to move it to a more appropriate category.

I also feel it would be important to mention that, as you can see we have three scales for each sub question. LimeSurvey does have a two scales array type of question, but not a three scales one. If we repeat the subquestions in a new question, that would make the survey way too long that I don't think anyone would like to complete it. So, what needs be done?

There is also this article, which explains how to create new question types, but the file and folder locations that it mentions do not exist anywhere on my installation.

What needs to be done?

Thank you all.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Raptor.

Re: Designing a new question type, a type of extended array 1 year 2 months ago #92148

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 683
That wiki page is very old and should probably be removed. Currently there is no facility for creating new question types.

I would suggest using 3 array questions, filter them (if necessary) and align them side-by-side with CSS.

The details of the CSS would depend on what template you are using and the question structure.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by tpartner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raptor

Re: Designing a new question type, a type of extended array 1 year 2 months ago #92150

• helper
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 18
This is one of those survey that needs a little re-design to be successful. First off, the user would be reading from left-to-right, which would put them into the situation of answering the effectiveness of a drug even though they may not have taken the substance. My suggestion would be to break each of these questions into groups.

Group 1:
  1. Have you taken Adderall (speed)? (yes/no)
  2. Do you know anybody that has taken Adderall (speed) (yes/no)
  3. IF Question 1. is "Yes" then ask the effectiveness (scale of 1 to 5)

and so on for each of the drugs...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raptor

Re: Designing a new question type, a type of extended array 1 year 2 months ago #92153

• Raptor
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you so much guys.
Dear tpartner, where can I get the instructions for doing what you said?

Thank you dear helper, that was really kind of you to respond to my message. What you suggest is very great, but the problem is the length of the survey, if I do it your way, it wouldn't be much different from the current form of the survey which is very long and breathtaking. I want to make it somewhat similar to the picture which is attached above.

Any other ideas?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Raptor.

Re: Designing a new question type, a type of extended array 1 year 2 months ago #92415

• Raptor
  • Fresh Lemon
Help me please.... :(

Re: Designing a new question type, a type of extended array 1 year 2 months ago #92418

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 254
Actually helpers suggestion could even reduce overall response time, as you would ask the long array question only for those that actually have used the drug already.

This question is totally design for a paper questionnaire and I would also suggest to redesign it, but have a look at the workaround section, there is an example on how to display different questions in an array. You will need to adapt it probably to your example, but it should work.

By the way: If the organisation would sack you for not getting this done, you shouldn't probably work for them in the first place... ;-)
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
Donation Image