Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: LS 2.00+: Expert-level - Using SUBQUESTION randomization for GROUP randomization

LS 2.00+: Expert-level - Using SUBQUESTION randomization for GROUP randomization 1 year 9 months ago #87486

Have an interesting problem here.

As of LS 2.00+, I see there is an option "Get order from previous question", as described in my post herein: www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/design-issue...-functionality#87480

Although I can't get it working yet, it seems very very useful.

However, I see also that there is, at the GROUP-level, a "Randomization group" option, presumably to randomize all of the questions that are part of the group you specify. Also a very useful option.

Now here's the fun part. I want to randomize a particular set of GROUPs based on the randomization of a set of SUBQUESTIONs. Allow me to explain.

GROUP1>
Q1>
Text:Which foods do you like? (multiple choice)
Subquestions: artichokes, burgers, chips, dumplings
*RANDOMIZE THESE SUBQUESTIONS.

Now, we also have 4 more question groups:
GROUP_ARTICHOKES
GROUP_BURGERS
GROUP_CHIPS
GROUP_DUMPLINGS

GROUP_ARTICHOKES contains all of the questions about artichokes. GROUP_BURGERS contains all of the questions about burgers, and so on. Actually, all of the questions are the same in these groups, apart from the text where it replaces each food with either ARTICHOKES, BURGERS, CHIPS, or DUMPLINGS.

The challenge is that whatever the randomization of subquestions was at GROUP1>Q1 (artichokes, burgers, chips, dumplings), we need to preserve that randomization order for the subsequent groups that are displayed afterwards. ALSO, we only want to display those groups that were selected in Q1.

So, if the randomization order at GROUP1>Q1> at a particular iteration became [burgers],[dumplings],[chips],[artichokes], and of those, the user selected only [chips] and [artichokes], then we want to display ONLY the groups [GROUP_CHIPS] and [GROUP_ARTICHOKES]... IN THAT ORDER.

So 2 challenges:
  1. 1. Show/hide specific GROUPS based on selected subquestions of a QUESTION
  2. 2. Maintain the same GROUP randomization order of a set of SUBQUESTIONS at a question.

Anybody who can make a successful stab at this will receive free high-volume LimeSurvey hosting from me for 2 months and my undying gratitude :)
I'm a call centre and market research technology consultant, lead/sample provider, and panel broker.

I'm also the co-founder and former IT Director of Winning Research Ltd. - LimeSurvey helped the company become a multi-million dollar company within just a few years!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by spacejanitor.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: LS 2.00+: Expert-level - Using SUBQUESTION randomization for GROUP randomization 1 year 9 months ago #87513

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
spacejanitor wrote:
The challenge is that whatever the randomization of subquestions was at GROUP1>Q1 (artichokes, burgers, chips, dumplings), we need to preserve that randomization order for the subsequent groups that are displayed afterwards. ALSO, we only want to display those groups that were selected in Q1.

So, if the randomization order at GROUP1>Q1> at a particular iteration became [burgers],[dumplings],[chips],[artichokes], and of those, the user selected only [chips] and [artichokes], then we want to display ONLY the groups [GROUP_CHIPS] and [GROUP_ARTICHOKES]... IN THAT ORDER.

So 2 challenges:
  1. 1. Show/hide specific GROUPS based on selected subquestions of a QUESTION
  2. 2. Maintain the same GROUP randomization order of a set of SUBQUESTIONS at a question.
#1 should be doable if you apply a condition to each e. g. BURGERS question to only show up if the related checkbox at the initial question was ticked.

Did I now win the hosting for 1 month :-)

#2 I'm quite sure that this will not be possible because those two features are not connected. The "Get order from previous question" functionality is only applied to the answer options of following sub-questions.

Generally, having a certain question order depending a specific selections in a survey is not possible because Limesurvey surveys are always shown sequentially. This is because of the conditions. If you apply a condition to a question which shows up after the current question, due to some randomization or the like, then this will break the whole system/condition.
One solution is to create a copy of each question group and when then defining a certain random order of groups, use conditions to show group 2 (copy 1) at the first slot, group 3 (copy 2) at the second slot and then group 1 (copy 3) at the third one.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Mazi.

Re: LS 2.00+: Expert-level - Using SUBQUESTION randomization for GROUP randomization 1 year 9 months ago #87526

Ok ok Marcel, you win the 1 month of free hosting... that first one was easy :)

But for #2, if I went with your suggestion and created a copy of each question group with the many possible combinations included, how would I show the necessary groups based on the randomization order that was achieved in a previous question?
I'm a call centre and market research technology consultant, lead/sample provider, and panel broker.

I'm also the co-founder and former IT Director of Winning Research Ltd. - LimeSurvey helped the company become a multi-million dollar company within just a few years!
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
Donation Image