Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer

Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer 2 years 3 months ago #84679

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me in the following issue. I am trying to design a Multiple Choice question whose choices depend on a previous question. For example:

Question 1: What is the name of each person in your immediate family?
Blank 1: Max
Blank 2: Michelle
Blank 3: Martin
Blank 4: {blank}
Blank 5: {blank}
Blank 6: {blank}
etc.

Question 1 is designed using the built-in question type "Multiple Text."

Question 2: Please select the immediate family members who live in your residence.

For this question, I am currently using the question type "Multiple Choice" with the answer from Question 1 (persons in the family) as Subquestion/Choices options. The problem is with this is, the "blanks" show up as subquestions/choices as well. Is there a way to tell lime-survey to not include the blanks?

Thanks in advance for your help! Let me know if I can clarify further!
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by freytheviking.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer 2 years 3 months ago #84685

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Just use the array filter feature - it does exactly what you're asking.

Here is the sample survey

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey_survey_29561.lss
File Size: 30 KB

Here is what it looks like running:

array_filter1.jpg

And here is how you get the second set of sub-questions to show the values you entered in the first question:

array_filter2.jpg

/Tom

Re: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer 2 years 3 months ago #84718

TMSWhite wrote:
Just use the array filter feature - it does exactly what you're asking.

Here is the sample survey

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey_survey_29561.lss
File Size: 30 KB

Here is what it looks like running:

array_filter1.jpg

And here is how you get the second set of sub-questions to show the values you entered in the first question:

array_filter2.jpg

/Tom

Thanks! I will try it out!

Re: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer 2 years 3 months ago #84720

Tom,

I can't seem to be able to get it working. I tried the "Array Filter" option, entering "q01" (the previous question's code) as my source, but it gave me the same result as previously.

Here is a screen shot of my subquestions, output, as well as the "Advance Options" page. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong? Oh, and I'm using version 1.92+. Thanks in advance again!

SubquestionsDisplay.png

OutputPage1.png

OutputPage2.png

Options.png
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by freytheviking.

Re: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer 2 years 3 months ago #84721

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
There are two likely possibilities:
(1) Is the first question actually "q01"? Filters are case sensitive, so if it is "Q01", the filter won't work.
(2) You are using an older version of 1.92+ (since it doesn't have Array Filter Style), so it is possible there is a bug in your version which has been fixed in more recent releases.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
Donation Image