Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What happened to Assessment values for the multiple choice question type?????

What happened to Assessment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84005

• Sweden
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
I found this:
Features present in earlier versions but missing now

Advanced question settings that work different than in earlier versions
1.Assesment value ◦The value is currently ignored for the Multiple choice question type

I really need assesment (I have to spell it wrong because of the autolink error!) values for multiple choice question types! Why was this option removed? Can I do something else instead? I got a mixture of radio and multiple choice...

BTW. Under Assesment rules there are two fields "Minimum" and "Maximum" - what should I put there? (I have looked in the manual - it wasn't clear to me).
Thanks
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Sweden.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84261

• Sweden
  • Senior Lime
No one knows this?
Why change something that works?

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84272

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
This has changed long time ago. At the latest 1.92 version you can use the Expression Manager to calculate assessment scores and it is even possible to store them directly at the database. Here is a sample syntax for an equation question type:
sum(if(q1 == 4 OR q1 == 5, 1, 0), if(q2a == 4 OR q2a == 5, 1, 0), if(q3a == 4 OR q3a == 5, 3, 0), if(q4a == 4 OR q4a == 5, 2, 0), if(q5a == 4 OR q5a == 5, 1, 0))

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sweden

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84284

• Sweden
  • Senior Lime
Thanks Marcel

Maybe I don't understand you but I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about assesment value and I believe you are talking about calculating assesment scores.

If you got a list (radio question type), you are then able to click the icon with the three blue squares on a row, named: "Edit answers options for this question". Here you can give each answer option an Assesment value e.g. A1: 0, A2: 10, A3: 20 - I can't do that if I got a multiple choice question type. I find it strange that this has been changed so it is no longer possible - how come?

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84285

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Sweden-

What version of Limesurvey are you using? 1.91+ does not let you specify different assessment values for multiple choice questions.

The reason that assessment_value for multiple choice was not added in 1.92 is that it didn't work properly in 1.91.

So, rather than saying how you want to solve your problem (e.g. by using assessment scores for multiple choice), please describe the problem you want to solve. That way we can show you how to solve it using 1.92.

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84295

• Sweden
  • Senior Lime
Good idea TMSWhite ;)

First, I'm always using the newest version (v. 1.92+ Build 120801).

The thing I'm trying to achieve is customized recommendations based on what the participant answered. The questions are a mixture of yes/no, radio, multiple choice questions. They probe for problems in different ways so I actually need more than just one assesment score. I was hoping that I could give each answer option an assesment value, and make several different assesments, such as assesment a, b, c etc.

Example:
Yes/No:
x Yes = 10(c)
  No  =  0(c)

Multiple choice:
x Choice 1 = 10(a)
x Choice 2 = 20(b)
  Choice 3 = 50(c)

Radio:
  Option 1 = -10(b)
  Option 2 =   0(b)
x Option 3 =  10(b)
("x" indicates a checkmark, numbers are assesment values, "a, b, c" are separate assesments).

On the last page of the survey I want to show the customized recommendations based on the different assesment scores - example:

If score from assesment values (a) < 50 then show phrase 1.
If score from assesment values (b) > 20 then show phrase 2.
If score from assesment values (c) > 100 then show phrase 3.

I can't isolate all A's on one page, and all B's on another etc., and I can't just avoid using multiple choice question types. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84320

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
Sweden-

Multiple choice questions have another odd aspect to their behavior that the value, when checked, is 'Y' instead of the code value. So, you can't simply sum up the code values for multiple choice. However, it is still easy to support what you are asking.

The attached survey implements the example you specified.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey_survey_39998.lss
File Size: 43 KB

sweden-test.jpg

The assessments are implemented as 'Equation' questions so that their values are stored in the database. Then we use relevance equations to show/hide the three assessment-related messages.

sweden-eqns.jpg
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by TMSWhite.

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84449

• Sweden
  • Senior Lime
Thanks TMSWhite!

It is about time that I thank you for your help (the last couple of days haven't been easy here!). Very kind of you to spend time creating a survey to explain how it works - your solution is a very good solution to my problem.

I do have a few questions that I hope you can help me with:

1) Do you know if it is possible to show the assesment-related messages after the participant has clicked the "Submit" button?

2) I haven't figured out why you added "-20" and "-10" in "e2" and "e3"? They don't seem to be assigned to any subquestion.

3) What if I want to give the same value to several subquestions of the same question - I can't have the same code for multiple subquestions so do I end up with something like this: "{if(q1_SQ001, 10, 0),if(q1_SQ002, 10, 0),if(q1_SQ003, 10, 0),if(q1_SQ004, 50, 0)" or is there a more clever solution? Can I somehow use the Assesment value fields instead? (the fields that show for each subquestion when the Assesment mode is enabled) or should I disable that.

It is amazing how many things you can do with LimeSurvey, very impressive software. I do however prefer simple solutions but I know it isn't always possible.

Thanks again for your excellent help. ;)

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84450

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
Sweden wrote:
1) Do you know if it is possible to show the assesment-related messages after the participant has clicked the "Submit" button?

Sort of. If they are using the assessment screens, then yes. However, assessments won't let you do everything you were trying to do here. However, you can modify the assessment template for your survey to insert whatever messages you would like, using Expression Manager syntax.
Sweden wrote:
2) I haven't figured out why you added "-20" and "-10" in "e2" and "e3"? They don't seem to be assigned to any subquestion.

I did that so that I could use the code value for the score. Codes can not be negative, so I added 20 to all values for e2, and 10 for e3. Then, the equations subtract 20 and 10 respectively.
Sweden wrote:
3) What if I want to give the same value to several subquestions of the same question - I can't have the same code for multiple subquestions so do I end up with something like this: "{if(q1_SQ001, 10, 0),if(q1_SQ002, 10, 0),if(q1_SQ003, 10, 0),if(q1_SQ004, 50, 0)" or is there a more clever solution? Can I somehow use the Assesment value fields instead? (the fields that show for each subquestion when the Assesment mode is enabled) or should I disable that.

For that, yes, using the assessment feature would make your life easier. That way you can use whatever code you want, and have the assessment scores be 10, 10, 10, and 50, respectively. To access the assessment value, you use
qcode.value

instead of this, which gives you the code value:
qcode

Re: What happened to Assesment values for the multiple choice question type????? 1 year 11 months ago #84451

• Sweden
  • Senior Lime
Wow, your are very fast! :)

I will look into your suggestions tomorrow (it is very late here). I need to study the Expression Manager syntax a bit more so I don't waste your time with (more) stupid questions.

Thank you very much for your help - I really appreciate it (and yes I will donate). ;)
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds
Donation Image