Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Exclusive option for version 1.92

Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79748

• aficek
  • Fresh Lemon
greetings from the states!

i am using LimeSurvey version 1.92, and i can't figure out how to make a multiple choice question option exclusive from the other options. the question asks about Race (check all that apply), and if the respondent selects Don't Know, i want any other answer they selected to be unchecked.

i found the directions for this in your online manual (enter answer code for Exclusion Option), but it doesn't seem to be working. i also saw your weird note in the manual about the exclusive option in version 1.92, but i didn't understand it.

i appreciate any assistance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79750

• ricardo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello there,

this is fairly pretty simple

Your question is

What is your race or ethnicity?

with options (subquestions)

1; American Indian or Alaska Native
2;Asian
3;Black or African American
4;Hispanic
5;Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
6;White
7;None of the above
8;I don't know

Exclusiveoption1.JPG

The, in the advance settings of the edition panel look for the Logic panel and add 7;8 (which are your codes for "None of the above" and "I don't know") in the "Exclusive option" field

Exclusiveoption2.JPG

Follow this link and see the outcome

nciia.org/surveys/l19/index.php?sid=91668&lang=en

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79753

• aficek
  • Fresh Lemon
i appreciate your timely response, ricardo -

unfortunately i've tried exactly that and it hasn't worked. what your example survey does is exactly what i'm looking for though. i tried it on a different question too to no avail. and just for kicks i tried a few different answer codes, but no luck.

i wondered if the note in the manual about this feature for version 1.92 is what is affecting this, but i can't translate what the particular note is trying to say. this is what the note says:

"Note: As of Version 1.92, exclusive_option marks the other attributes as irrelevant, so they are hidden and their values are NULLed in the database"

thanks again,
angie

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79755

• ricardo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Lime
The note refers exactly to what you saw in the sample I posted...when John Doe checks the exclusive option (e.g. "none of the above")the other options are hidden, and the value will be NULL in the database...in other words, for example, if John Doe, checked White, and then "none of the above" the value for White will be NULL in the database.

Please export your question and post it here, and I'll see if I can reproduce the problem

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79769

• aficek
  • Fresh Lemon
i just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. thanks!
Attachments:

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79773

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 318
Make sure that there are no errors in your survey (check the survey logic file) and make sure your survey is activated.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79774

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 318
Your question works just fine for me. Do you have any conditions that this question depends on or is part?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79776

• ricardo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Lime
You're not doing anything wrong. The problem is that you activated the option 'other'. This option is embedded in LS and difficult to modify.

If you want to use an "Other" option in your list, and make it and exclusive option, I'd suggest that you add it manually to your list.

However I don't understand something:

Why would you want to make "Other" an Exclusive option? What if somebody is, say, White and "Other"? if you make "other" the exclusive option, the White will be marked as irrelevant and NULLED in the database, which means you'd loose that data point.

In my opinion, it's better to create the "other" option manually, use the "Don't know" as the exclusive option at the end of the list, and then via [url=http://http://docs.limesurvey.org/Expression+Manager]Expression Manager[/url] create a relevance statement to open an open ended question to specify the race.

click this link to see an example

This is the group structure in case you want to use it

File Attachment:

File Name: race_group.lsg
File Size: 16 KB
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by ricardo. Reason: forgot attachment

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79855

• aficek
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes there is a condition - if someone indicates they are Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, they are asked a question about their NH/PI ethnicity. The same applies if they are Asian.

Does this affect the exclusive option for Don't Know?

Re: Exclusive option for version 1.92 2 years 4 months ago #79856

• aficek
  • Fresh Lemon
Ricardo - I don't want the Other option to be exclusive, just the Don't Know option.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
Donation Image