Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sending thousands of mails

Sending thousands of mails 2 years 10 months ago #74284

• adishardis
  • Senior Lime
Hi again!

So, I'm now at the point where I start wondering on how to send all the invitations to the participants? I read that google have a limit on how many mails you send and our workmail only allows for 200/h.

So I was wondering if

A: it's possible to set up a "mailserver" on my homecomputer and send from that

or

B: You can recommend a way to send out an invitation to 5 000 participants.

Best regards
Adam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sending thousands of mails 2 years 10 months ago #74313

• adishardis
  • Senior Lime
hmmmm, maybe i've missunderstood how it works...

Does Limesurvey have the function to send out emails without external "help". So if I just add the emailadressess, limesurvey will send them out automagically?

/Adam

Re: Sending thousands of mails 2 years 10 months ago #74350

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 887
Hello,

LS can't send email by itself, he need a mail server. If your server have a mail server, you can use mail() ( php function).

But i think put a mail server on your home computer ( it's possible) put a lot of your mail in spam.
It's a work to do a good mail server.

Can you use your ISP smtp ?

Denis

Aw: Sending thousands of mails 2 years 10 months ago #74359

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
Hello,

it depends on your survey and your needs. If you have a closed survey with a participant table and a token for each participant I would use LimeSurvey to send out the mails rather than copying/creating 5000 links (one for each participant).
But as Shnoulle said you have to configure the mail settings in the global settings in order to send emails with LimeSurvey. And you have to click "Send invitations" but I'd rather click on a button one or a few times instead of sending emails one by one.

If your survey is open/public and you just want to send out the survey link with your email you could for example use an adress list in your mail programme or perhaps a free mailing list.

If you want to limit the mails send by LimeSurvey you can use the "Email batch size" setting in the "Global settings" -> "Email settings" tab. You can then send e.g. 200 mails, wait a day and continue sending the next batch of emails (though I don't think you really want to send a batch of 200 emails for 25 days.)
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Steve.

Re: Aw: Sending thousands of mails 2 years 10 months ago #74364

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 312
Depedning on your provider and restrictions like "max 100 emails/hour" the best solution often is to use SMTP for sending emails. Contact your provider about any restrictions and SMTP connection details.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Aw: Sending thousands of mails 2 years 10 months ago #74367

• adishardis
  • Senior Lime
Our provider says it will only allow 200 mails/h.

It would be a nice function to have the possibility to load all the emailadresses and then set automailing in a certain intervall and batch size!

Thanks for clearing this up for me! :)

Regards
Adam

Re: Aw: Sending thousands of mails 2 years 10 months ago #74376

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
adishardis wrote:

It would be a nice function to have the possibility to load all the emailadresses and then set automailing in a certain intervall and batch size!

Thanks for clearing this up for me! :)

Regards
Adam
Adam, this is technically not possible. Limesurvey runs on a webserver and an action is performed only if a user clicks a button. The only way to automate this is to use cronjobs (which I use to automatically send email invitations and reminders).

Have a look at www.limeservice.com. This is a Limesurvey optimized hosting and there are no such strict limits.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Aw: Sending thousands of mails 2 years 10 months ago #74380

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 386
Sending mass emails is a sensitive area. It is less the technical issues behind sending 5000 mails, but rather the possibility to be classified as spammer. So make sure that you have an up to date list, that people on the list have agreed to receive emails from you and use a well configured mail server.

A badly configured mail server can get you easily listed in the spam lists. Limesurvey has the possibility to send out the emails via a mail server. Without a mail server Limesurvey can't really send any emails on its own.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Aw: Sending thousands of mails 1 year 5 months ago #97643

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
adishardis wrote:

The Limesurvey cronjob scripts for sending email invitations and sending email reminders support setting a max batch size for Limesurvey 2:

Automatically sending Limesurvey invitation emails via cronjob: www.limesurvey-templates.com/automatical...nvitations-p-49.html

Automatically sending Limesurvey reminder emails via cronjob: www.limesurvey-templates.com/automatical...-reminders-p-45.html

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Aw: Sending thousands of mails 1 year 5 months ago #97644

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
holch wrote:
Sending mass emails is a sensitive area. It is less the technical issues behind sending 5000 mails, but rather the possibility to be classified as spammer. So make sure that you have an up to date list, that people on the list have agreed to receive emails from you and use a well configured mail server.

A badly configured mail server can get you easily listed in the spam lists. Limesurvey has the possibility to send out the emails via a mail server. Without a mail server Limesurvey can't really send any emails on its own.
For more information about "How to prevent Limesurvey email invitations or reminders being treated as spam" have a look at www.limesurvey-consulting.com/how-to-pre...ing-treated-as-spam/

Dr. Marcel Minke
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Donation Image