Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bounce Tracking Settings

Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 3 weeks ago #68358

• dataguru
  • Junior Lime
My first attempt to set up bounce tracking was a dismal failure.

I'm working on troubleshooting

I set up a gmail account to use for bounce tracking.
when I set up the pop mail settings on gmail, do the settings matter in terms of what gmail does with the message after it's been accessed with pop? The options are to keep the e-mail in the inbox, mark it as read, archive it or delete it.

and a secondary question. In the limesurvey bounce settings for a particular survey if I put my e-mail in the "Survey bounce email" field and then choose "use global settings", does it ignore the address in the "Survey bounce email" field? or should that be the same gmail address I set up for bounce tracking?

Thanks,
Betty
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 3 weeks ago #68362

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
@1: I don't think thse settings really matter because a bounce email is usually send immediately independent of those settings.

@2: I'm not sure. I recommend to set the same email address for both.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 3 weeks ago #68448

• lovepade
  • Expert Lime
I am just working on this now - and I can't get it to work either... Limesurvey just shows the "processing" screen forever.

I used IMAP option as per the screen-shots in the manual. Have not tried pop yet. (docs.limesurvey.org/Email+bounce+trackin...system&#comments) (pls note that the screenshots use port 995 for gmail - it should be 993).

I have confirmed that the settings works in thunderbird.

I tried with the same configuration in both global settings and per survey setting.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

p.s. this is an absolute killer feature!! - you guys rock. - especially so when we get it to work :-D

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 2 weeks ago #68503

• lovepade
  • Expert Lime
I have now tested both "global settings" and per suvery settings. I have used IMAP and POP. But unfortunately I can't get it to work.

I just now see that the feature seems to require SMTP support - which I haven't enabled since I rely on the phpmailer.
When set up in conjunction with an SMTP account, the bounce tracking system will now retrieve “bounced” emails from token mailouts and update the tokens table to indicate that the bounced email does not work. The bounce tracking system requires the ability to run an automated process using a cron system (on linux servers)
(source)

- Can somebody confirm that bounce tracking depends on SMTP?
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by lovepade. Reason: formatting

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 2 weeks ago #68521

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 869
lovepade wrote:
- Can somebody confirm that bounce tracking depends on SMTP?
Hello,

The important think , it's the return-path, I use phpmailer with bounce tracking, and it work like a charm.

But sometimles, the php installation modify the return-path, even if the tools put it clearly.

I think LS put it clearly ( my default return-path for apache is postmaster@...., and i use noreply@.... for bounce tracking).

Denis
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by DenisChenu.

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 2 weeks ago #68523

• lovepade
  • Expert Lime
That's interesting. The header I recieve in my bounce emails actually don't have a return path. Is this what you are talking about? - If so - have you any idea regarding what could be wrong? I'll look into creating a default return-path... Never heard about that untill now...
Delivered-To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Received: by xx.xxx.xx.xx with SMTP id n18cs13070vca;
Sun, 6 Nov 2011 15:12:41 -0800 (PST)
Received: by xx.xxx.xx.xx with SMTP id b14mr43515260fab.10.1320621159693;
Sun, 06 Nov 2011 15:12:39 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <>
(ip crossed out, and domainname changed)

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 2 weeks ago #68527

• lovepade
  • Expert Lime
I found this, regarding Drupal: drupal.org/node/131737
Most mail servers overwrite the 'Return-path' header sent by the PHP mail() function by a default email address(...). This is bad (...). If you have your own server you can change it in the php.ini, but in the case of a shared hosting or on a multidomain server, you need to specify it for your own site.

The PHP mail() offers the additional_parameters to fix that. -fme@mysite.com will ensure that the Return-path of the email you send is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
drupal.org/node/131737.

I have a multidomain server, so php.ini is not the best solution. Can something like the drupal patch be applied to limesurvey?
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by lovepade. Reason: added bold emphasis

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 2 weeks ago #68535

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 869
Hello,

If you can test your installation change the Return-path, please fill a bug report : www.limesurvey.org/en/community-services/bug-tracker

And put the link of the drupal patch in the bug report, and a link to this post here :)

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 2 weeks ago #68537

• lovepade
  • Expert Lime
Hi, - thanks for your reply

I am not sure what you mean by "If you can test your installation change the Return path"? I did not apply the drupal patch if thats what you think? sorry :-)

But if it helps this is the output of "php --version":
PHP 5.3.3-7+squeeze3 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jun 28 2011 08:24:40) 

Re: Bounce Tracking Settings 3 years 2 weeks ago #68538

• dataguru
  • Junior Lime
I just confirmed the imap settings i'm using are happy by setting up outlook to hit gmail. Sent another survey invite that I know will bounce. However, I do not see a mail message in the gmail account. I should see one there if LS was able to change the mail header when it sent the invite?
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Donation Image