Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question types and privacy issues

Question types and privacy issues 2 years 9 months ago #67732

Hi I have a couple of tricky issues and would like to first thank your patience in helping me out.

1.Question type

I would like to attach a picture to show what i mean but the uploading has issue as it will reflect "fakepath", and the uploaded picture will not appear... Anyway I have this question where I would like the participants of my survey to tell me the sex and age of all their children, and among all the children listed, indicate which child the parent will have in mind while answering questions relating child-rearing. I would require a question type that allows me to input both TEXT and INDICATE CHOICE. It seems like the only question type available in limesurvey is "Multiple choice with comments" The options i will key in are "Child 1, Child 2, Child 3, Child 4, Child 5, Child 6. However there are problems using this question type:

(a) I am not allowed to leave a "comment" if i did not check the box. (However participants will only need to check 1 box - the box to indicate which child the parent have in mind when doing the survey) Basically I need the participants to fill up ALL the "comment box" of all 6 options (child 1-child 6) with the details of the other children's "sex" and "age" but just check ONE box.

(b) Is there a way i can split the comment box into two separate field? One for Age, and one for Sex?

Anyone can provide any solution? or any possible format I can use? Greatly appreciated!

2.Combining question types

Is there a way I can combine Array(text) with List(dropdown)? Which means with a large array of text boxes, with sub-questions in y-axis and x-axis, I need some of the text boxes to be a list(dropdown) option? Possible?

3.Privacy issues
I have 2 separate surveys. Participants have to complete one SURVEY A before they can do SURVEY B. I put SURVEY B link at the end message. However I realized that whoever have SURVEY B's link can simply pass it on to other people who can then do SURVEY B without completing SURVEY A. I have to keep the 2 surveys separate to ensure anonymity as SURVEY B contains questions that have identifiable information. Therefore how do i:

(a) ensure only participants who have completed Survey A can have access to Survey B.
(b) Participants who decide to quit halfway and did not complete SURVEY A will still be lead the END PAGE which contains the link to Survey B. How can I ensure those participants who decide to quite will still see the end page's message but not the link to SURVEY B?

Thank you very much for helping me solve the above issues. As long as if you can provide any solution to any of the issues above, please post a reply. Your support and help is greatly appreciated!! (:

Cheers
Eileen
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Question types and privacy issues 2 years 9 months ago #67737

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 286
Well, what we usually do is to have everything in one survey and then when we download the results, we separate the personal data from the results data.

Combining different question types is possible via a workaround. Have a look at the workaround section.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Question types and privacy issues 2 years 9 months ago #67742

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 742
I agree with holch that the solution to your question layout issues may be this workaround - docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...stion_types_in_array
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Question types and privacy issues 2 years 9 months ago #67751

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
eileenchew6 wrote:
3.Privacy issues
I have 2 separate surveys. Participants have to complete one SURVEY A before they can do SURVEY B. I put SURVEY B link at the end message. However I realized that whoever have SURVEY B's link can simply pass it on to other people who can then do SURVEY B without completing SURVEY A. I have to keep the 2 surveys separate to ensure anonymity as SURVEY B contains questions that have identifiable information. Therefore how do i:

(a) ensure only participants who have completed Survey A can have access to Survey B.
(b) Participants who decide to quit halfway and did not complete SURVEY A will still be lead the END PAGE which contains the link to Survey B. How can I ensure those participants who decide to quite will still see the end page's message but not the link to SURVEY B?
b) This is tecnically not possible because a user can simply close the browser window and there is nothing you can do to prevent them.
One solution might be to show the link to survey A at the welcome screen and tell them to write it down to fill out the survey later.
At the exit and clear survey option (if it is enabled) you can edit the warning message indicating that there is a second part.

a) You can:
1. Use tokens and create the same tokens for both surveys. You can then pass the token value by URL as well. others trying to acces the survey directly without having a valid token will not gain access to the survey.
2. Show a password on the last screen of survey A using a boilerplate question and then use this workaround to password protect survey B: docs.limesurvey.org/Workarounds%3A+Surve...r_accessing_a_survey

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Mazi.

Re: Question types and privacy issues 2 years 9 months ago #67762

Hey mazi

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I am very new and inexperience to the things u have suggested and would really appreciate an elaboration

(a) what do u mean by creating same token for both survey n pass on the token value through URL as well?

(b) I read "Use general password for accessing a survey" based on the link u have provided, and have trouble understanding the content. ):
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
Donation Image