Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Alerts / error messages: Javascript Alerts vs. inline messages

Alerts / error messages: Javascript Alerts vs. inline messages 3 years 3 weeks ago #66396

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 358
Hi!

I remember vaguely that there was once the option where you could choose if alerts (about mandatory questions, errors when filling in, etc.) are shown via javascript or via PHP.

I really don't like those Javascript alerts and I'd rather prefer an inline message on the page, but I can't find where to set that. Was that taken out? I am quite sure that there was an option once or am I just getting old and crazy? ;-)
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Alerts / error messages: Javascript Alerts vs. inline messages 3 years 3 weeks ago #66413

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
Have a look at "$showpopups: Show popup messages if mandatory or conditional questions have not been answered correctly. 1=Show popup message (default), 0=Show message on page instead."
-> docs.limesurvey.org/Optional+settings&st...rvey#Survey_Behavior

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Alerts / error messages: Javascript Alerts vs. inline messages 3 years 3 weeks ago #66432

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hi Mazi!

Thank you for the quick reply! I knew it was there somewhere, but I had searched the config.php and didn't find anything, it looked awfully empty. ;-)

Now I know why. This section in the documentation is very important:
These optional settings can only be found in config-defaults.php of a standard installation - some of them are only used for first installation and overriden in Global settings. If you want to change these settings please do not change it in config-defaults.php but copy the particular setting/line over to config.php and change it there. All settings in config.php overwrite the default values from config-defaults.php and starting with version 1.87 some of these settings get overridden in the Global settings dialog. This way it is much easier to upgrade your installation at a later time!
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Alerts / error messages: Javascript Alerts vs. inline messages 3 years 3 weeks ago #66445

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
<ironic mode>
You're welcome!

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to the team .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.
</ironic_mode>

;)

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Alerts / error messages: Javascript Alerts vs. inline messages 3 years 3 weeks ago #66458

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
;-)

Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
Donation Image