Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Any documentation regarding troubleshooting errors when uploading csv token file

Any documentation regarding troubleshooting errors when uploading csv token file 3 years 4 months ago #62914

• ChacoKevy
  • Junior Lime
Technically not a question yet :) My searches aren't showing anything regarding common mistakes when uploading a csv token file. Can anyone point me to something?

The error message I'm receiving states that some lines are being rejected due to a "mismatching of number of fields". Hopefully an easy fix.
Thanks,
Kev
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Any documentation regarding troubleshooting errors when uploading csv token file 3 years 4 months ago #62915

• c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 116
Hi Kev,

the first line in your token file determins the number of fields

for example

firstname,lastname,email

are 3 fields. So your data in the following line should have the same number of fields

John,Doe,This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The commas are separating the data fields. If there are too many commas or too few (and so the number of fields is not equal 3) you will get the error message above. I am not sure if it might even be happening on blank lines. But that is the whole explanation of the error message.
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!

Re: Any documentation regarding troubleshooting errors when uploading csv token file 3 years 4 months ago #62918

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
Was the CSV file prepared with Excel?

Excel is not always exporting "Comma"-separated values when using the CSV format. Excel is checking the decimal separator (which is be set via regional settings of the OS). If the decimal separator is a comma, the semicolon is used as a separator.

Check CSVEdit csved.sjfrancke.nl/ to clean and edit csv files.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by jelo.

Re: Any documentation regarding troubleshooting errors when uploading csv token file 3 years 4 months ago #63070

• ChacoKevy
  • Junior Lime
Thanks to both of you. It was a MS CSV issue, but not one of semicolon delimitation.
I am using extra attribute fields that sometimes go null, and on older versions of Excel (I'm on 2003) if the last column is empty, then the MS CSV eventually stops recording the last commas resulting in the mismatch if it is 16 consecutive rows.

My problem exactly is right here: support.microsoft.com/kb/77295
And upgrading to a current version is the fix.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
Donation Image