Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Quota Control Issues

Quota Control Issues 3 years 3 months ago #61700

• mmirasol
  • Senior Lime
I wish to setup a survey and use quota control to limit the number of respondents. After doing some testing, I found out that quota control is only executed on the questions which were specified in the quota and not on any other part of the survey.

As an example, if i had a survey with 3 questions,
- question1: are you qualified? (yes/no)
- question2: what is your favorite color? (short text)
- question3: you're done! (boilerplate)

and i:
- set up a quota with a limit of 1,
- add question1 = "yes" to the quota,

then i create 2 tokens, and ask 2 people to answer the survey. at the start of the survey,
- the quota is 0,
- so anyone can put in a token and answer the survey.

what i've observed is that:
- if both respondents pass question1 before one completes the survey, both responses are recorded, and you end up with 2 complete responses even though the quota limit is just 1.
- if the first respondent completes the survey before the second passes question1, then the latter gets the quota full message.

it seems there's a problem with quota control since it can be exceeded by partial responses in the system. Another thing to consider is that question1 can't be moved to the end because qualify questions always appear at the beginning of the survey.

please advise.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by mmirasol.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Quota Control Issues 3 years 3 months ago #61701

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 326
I'd say this is just normal behavior. I don't know this differently from any other tool that I know.

Only completed interviews will count for the quota, because otherwise you might exclude / screen out people but the quota is actually not full, because those that have filled it didn't finish the survey. So at the end you might have a few respondents more for one quota (from my experience this number usually is very low and on shorter surveys usually zero).

I don't see how any tool can solve this problem.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Quota Control Issues 3 years 3 months ago #61703

• mmirasol
  • Senior Lime
thank you, holch. =)
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
Donation Image