Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to disable question table summary?

How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61329

• lhughes30
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
By default, the question text from the td.questiontext element is repeated in the summary attribute of the table.question element. When using a screen reader like JAWS, this causes the question to be read twice, which is very confusing to blind users. Is there any way to disable the summary, or does anyone have other ideas on how to eliminate the duplication?

Thanks for any help.

Lee
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61368

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 826
This is not tested with a screen reader but try adding the following to the end of template.js. It will remove the summary after page load.
	$(document).ready(function() {

$('table.question').attr('summary', '');

});
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61371

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 377
As most of the screen readers ignore Javascript (as far as I know), this won't be a solution, Tony. ;-)
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61373

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
But if they ignore JavaScript the survey won't work. It is largely driven by jQuery and JavaScript.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61374

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 377
As far as I know, the surveys themselve are supposed to be "accessible" or "barrier free" (not so the administration).

A Limesurvey with the default template should work without Javascript as well. conditions on a one-page survey might not work, but in general it should. At least this was what I have heard so far. Maybe that has changed lately.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61430

• lhughes30
  • Junior Lime
I put this in template.js of the template my survey is linked to, just below the comments to enable focusFirst. It has no effect. I tried it in a fresh browser session with a different browser just to make sure caching wasn't causing problems -- no help. I double-checked and the code snippet definitely is not commented out so it should be active. I added "alert('HERE')" inside the snippet and the popup displays as expected. Any ideas?

Thanks very much for your response and help.

Lee

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61431

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Lee, are you testing with a screen reader or a normal browser? Holch thinks that screen readers will ignore the JS but then the alert shouldn't work either.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61432

• lhughes30
  • Junior Lime
Tony- I'm just testing with Firefox and Chrome for now, checking the page source to verify that the summary attribute has been blanked out.

The screen reader (JAWS) "speaks" the page based on the underlying generated HTML, so as long as the JavaScript removes the summary attribute from the rendered page, I think it should work.

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61433

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hang on, I'll activate a sample survey for you...
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: How to disable question table summary? 3 years 5 months ago #61434

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Cheers,
Tony Partner

• Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
Donation Image