Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SPSS Export - truncating text fields

SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61189

• gavlar
  • Fresh Lemon
hi there

We are running Limesurvey Version 1.82+ (6825) on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 with a MySQL database.

We appear to have an issue when exporting surveys to SPSS - specifically that text fields get truncated to 255 characters.

This appears to be the case whether we apply 'Short free text' or 'Huge free text' options to open questions.

When we browse the responses in Limesurvey, or export to Excel - we can see the full text the user entered. But when we export to SPSS we only get the first 255 characters.

Any help appreciated!

thanks

Gavin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61193

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 745
I'm afraid 1.82 is far too old for us to offer any help. Can you update the the latest stable version?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61200

• mdekker
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 68
Support for longer text fields was added in a later version. The only solution is to upgrade.
---
Menno Dekker

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61207

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 288
As far as I know, this is mainly a problem in SPSS. I am not an expert, but in my former company it was the same. We had to export textfields to another format, because SPSS was supporting only 255 characters.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61208

• mdekker
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 68
Newer spss versions >16 don't have the 255 char limit.
---
Menno Dekker

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61209

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Good to know. Now the question is which software needs an upgrade. ;-)

Well, it would be good to upgrade Limesurvey anyway, because there has changed a lot since 1.82, but if they have an old version of SPSS, the problem might still persist after an upgrade.

I know that because of the price, many companies wait as long as possible for upgrades of SPSS, as long as the version they have matches their needs. For Limesurvey there is no excuse though... :-)
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by holch.

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61219

• gavlar
  • Fresh Lemon
hi there

Thanks for all the responses!

First up - I did try an upgrade to 1.90 a while back but there were issues the users couldn't get thru - so we stuck at 1.82 :( - but that version is still installed in test - so I will get them to test this there.

I imagine I will probably upgrade Limesurvey tho - always good to do and hopefully this time all will be ok.

FYI - the text was 255 characters in the export file itself - so it was Limesurvey truncating it I think - but only probably because SPSS would not support more characters at that time.

cheers

Gavin

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61222

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, you could export it as a csv/xls file and see if the answers are truncated after 255 characters as well, just to see if it is an general issue with Limesurvey only saving 255 characters or if it has to do with the SPSS export format.

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61240

• gavlar
  • Fresh Lemon
hi there

Yep - I tried this as part of my original diagnostics. Excel/CSV export is fine - and provides us with a work-around :)

Upgrade is the way to go

cheers

Gavin

Re: SPSS Export - truncating text fields 3 years 2 months ago #61266

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Good to know. So Limesurvey could already do more in 1.82, but the SPSS export only allowed 255 characters.

Yeah, you really should go for the upgrade. If there are still people depending on the 1.82, then just make a parallel installation with another database, shouldn't be a big problem and you can have both worlds.

Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
Donation Image