Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: "other" option in Dropdown list

"other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58311

• luge
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to use a drop down list with an "other" option [with comment, but non mandatory].
It works fine as long as I set the Format to "group by group" in the presentation & navigation setting of the survey.
If i switch to "question by question", one can still select the "other" answer, but the comment box doesn't show. If one clicks next and then comes back to the question, the comment box is present.
Any idea as to why this happens? And how to fix it?

Thanks,

Luge
NB: I know there's probably (haven't tried yet) a workaround by either adding a filter to "other" and a short text ansewer OR by creating a group for each question and defining format as "group by group". The former isn't really suited to a question by question survey, the latter has some appeal to it but I have quite a few questions and the group titles are used to provide information (so i would have to repeat the same title several times).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58323

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
Which Limesurvey version do you use?

Can you post a link to a test survey?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58327

• luge
  • Fresh Lemon
Here is the link:
forswebmail.unil.ch/limesurvey/index.php?sid=25914&lang=en

There's no question text I think, just the drop down list. 3 times the same liste.

I'm using version 1.87 (8338)

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58331

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 748
It looks like you have a JavaScript error preventing the display of the text input. Can you test with the shipped bluengrey template (I think that's the one you copied).

If it's still broken, you should update to 1.90 - I tested with it and all is fine.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58352

• luge
  • Fresh Lemon
Ok, I ve tried with the original template, and it doesn't work (also tested with the default template, doesn't work either).

I'm concerned about the export format change in version 1.90 (.csv/.lss), but that's not the right place to ask about it i guess.

Thanks for your answers!

Luge

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58357

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 791
luge wrote:
Ok, I ve tried with the original template, and it doesn't work (also tested with the default template, doesn't work either).
I just testing the first page , and the "other" input box appear if i select other.

use Firefox and Chromium, i select ailleurs, trés loin, la sieste for the other answer, and submit my answers :)

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58359

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Yeah, it's working in group-by-group mode.

luge, can you put it back to question-by-question with the default template for me to test fo the javaScript error?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58362

• luge
  • Fresh Lemon
Sure, it's back up on a Q by Q format.

Sorry about that, I was trying to see in the code page what was different between Q by Q and G by G formats.
But I don't know Javascript so I couldn't really see that...

Luge

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58363

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Okay, the same error is occuring. It seems to be a bug in 1.87 - the noop_checkconditions function is not included but is being called when a dropdown is clicked. This prevents any subsequent scripts from running (like the showhideother function).

Set up your survey to use JavaScript and add the following to the source of the group description:
<script type="text/javascript">
	function noop_checkconditions(value, name, type) {
	}
</script>
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: "other" option in Dropdown list 3 years 4 months ago #58369

• luge
  • Fresh Lemon
So I tried your solution, it doesn't work in the group description. However if you put it in the question text field, it works!
The problem if you put it in the group description is that it comes as an intermediary screen between start page and question page due to the Q by Q format.

It's up and running now, if you want to try again. I put the script only in the first question, so we can see the difference.

Thanks a lot!
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Donation Image