Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues

Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57620

• StuTheQ
  • Junior Lime
Good evening!

I'm having a few problems with the implementation of Multiple Short Text Questions:

1. Maximum characters - this function doesn't seem to work with this question type (whereas it does the job perfectly for the standard Long Free Text and Short Free Text questions). Can anyone tell me where the problem is?

2. Display rows - in principle, once you've set the number of rows, a scroll bar is displayed if the user enters more lines. However, this function only seems to work when the number of rows is 2 or more. If you set the value to 1, the text just moves up out of the answer box, making rereading/correction very difficult... Once again, can anybody help me with this issue?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

StuTheQ

PS I did extensive searches on the Forum and on Google before posting but didn't find any specific answers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57624

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 683
Can you please attach a smple question or survey?

What LS version, template and browser are you using?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuTheQ

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57627

• StuTheQ
  • Junior Lime
Hello Tony,

First of all, thanks for replying to my question.

You're going to think that I'm totally zero but I don't know how to attach a sample question or survey... :blush:

I'm using LimeSurvey 1.90+ on LimeService (account opened today after a weekend on the demo version!), template is "basic" and my browser is Firefox 3.6.13.

I've attached a screenshot of the interface - I don't know if that will help?

Thanks once again!

Regards,

StuTheQ
Attachments:

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57629

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
The max characters thing appears to be a bug. Please open a ticket at the bugtracker and...

1. Give as much information as possible

2. Attach your survey. You can mark your ticket "private" so that only the developers will be able to take a look at it.

3. Provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem.

4. If possible/helpful please provide screenshots

Afterwards please post the link to the bugtracker so we can follow the progress.

The scrollbars issue seems to be normal Firefox behaviour. There is simply not enough height in the element to display the scrollbars.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57666

• StuTheQ
  • Junior Lime
Hello again Tony,

Further to your reply, I started to fill out a ticket at the bugtracker.

However, as I was preparing the step-by-step instructions to reproduce the problem, I discovered that the Maximum characters function does work with Multiple Short Text Questions provided that you don't enter anything in the "Display rows" box...

The downside of this is that "long" Short Text answers (yes, I know that's a contradiction!) remain on one line (with the initial text progessively disappearing on the left) making rereading/correction difficult (for the scrollbar feature to turn on with Firefox 3.6.13, you have to set the value of "Display rows" to 2 or more - but then you're back to square one and the Maximum characters function doesn't work!)

This is not a critical issue and I don't want to waste your time with it. My survey will be fine, I think, but this question is now really intriguing me!

Regarding the new bugtracker ticket, I think I should now wait to see if you have any further comments?

Thanks once again for your time.

Regards,

StuTheQ
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by StuTheQ. Reason: typo!

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57671

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
It is still a bug.

If you don't enter anything in the "Display rows" box, a text input is created, if you do enter something in the "Display rows" box, a textarea is created. These two different elements are created by different code in quanda.php.

The code to create the text input works fine but the code to create the textarea is broken.

Don't worry about the bug report, I'll fix it as an unreported bug. Of course, unfortunately, this won't help you until LimeService is updated.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57672

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Fixed in version 9837.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57789

• StuTheQ
  • Junior Lime
Hello Tony?

How can I found out if/when LimeService is now running with/will be running with the bugfix for Multiple Short Text Questions implemented? (version 9837?)

Will it just be a simple question of creating a new survey, as usual, or will it require changing/resetting some things?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

StuTheQ

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57793

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
You can ask the support team at LimeService (it's not the same as LimeSurvey.org).
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: Multiple Short Text Questions: maximum characters and display rows issues 3 years 1 month ago #57796

• StuTheQ
  • Junior Lime
OK, will do!

Thanks!

StuTheQ
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
Donation Image