TOPIC: how to speed up question load?

how to speed up question load? 3 years 8 months ago #56402

• sig_block
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi everybody,
I'm stuck on this problem since days.

I'm making a huge survey for an experiment:
- 330 multiple option questions
- each ha 92 subquestions (so i present subjects one questino per page)
- a jquery script runs for every question and it's been posted in the group description (it just hides/shows subquestions)
- LS 1.90+ build 9487 (and i have no access to the server)

My problem is that when i first wrote all the questions and run the survey i got a blank page (no html code, no error logs in apache, I couldn't find any error logs anywhere)

I re-wrote the survey from the beginning (first idea: there was something wrong in the questions i wrote, maybe some parsing problem). Same problem.

I then tried with just 50 questions. It worked but it was very slow (it took about 2 seconds to load every question).

I also tried with 6 groups of 8 questions but it was more or less the same. It was a bit faster but not that fast (about 1.7 sec per question).

My questions:

1. why the survey runs so slow? Is it due to the high number of subquestions or to the high number of questions?

2. and so, what can i due to speed up the question load?
(e.g. it is better to have more groups of less questions? what about having more questions with less subquestions each (but having conditions between them)?)

Plaese help me, i have to publish it on Monday
Best

Gianluca
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by sig_block. Reason: typos
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: how to speed up question load? 3 years 8 months ago #56615

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
1. There might be several reasons. The large number of questions (at limesurvey each option of a multiple choice question is a single subquestion because 0/1 is stored as a result), maybe the Javascript you are using and also conditions might slow things down.

2. Having all questions on one page will probably lead to a very long page load time so anquestion by question mode should be the fastest version.
Also check server ressources and assign more memory and execution timemif possible. When running a complex survey on a shared hosting this might be slow while having your own server at which no other applications are runningnwill be much faster.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
Donation Image