Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer 3 years 9 months ago #55836

• chupanibre
  • Junior Lime
Hi again

This seems to be a widely discussed topic, but since I am a complete noob I will simply ask about possibilities of "benchmarking" between different browsers. I constructed a survey using Firefox (version 3.6.6), when I try to load the page in IE (version 7), I receive different layouts. (not only layouts, but also behaviour of certain elements of the page). I attached screenshots for comparison.

Is there any efficient way of adressing this issue? Are there specific possibilities with which one can control the behaviour of the survey in different types of browsers?

Thanks,
Chupa

Firefox 3.6.6:
screen_FF366.JPG

Internet Explorer 7:
screen_IE7.JPG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Internet Explorer 3 years 9 months ago #55847

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
It's always hard to help when user have a customized template. Furthermore Internet Explorer and Firefox sometimes behave different when interpreting HTML pages, firefox seems to be much more tolerant while IE often causes problems.

In general you can say that:

1. If the template uses valid HTML and there are no errors, like not closed tags or invalid syntax, all should be shown correct in every browser.

2. Problems might be cause when copy-pasting texts directly from Word because at the background a lot of style information will be copied which you might not notice but these styles might break the layout at certain browsers.

3. Especially Internet Explorer 6 doesn't interpret some HTML elements correctly. Supporting this stone old browser takes much more effort.

4. Certain behavior can be influenced by special CSS files which are integrated for different browsers. You find these at the template editor.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Aw: Internet Explorer 3 years 9 months ago #55872

• chupanibre
  • Junior Lime
Thanks for the info. I am currently trying to resolve my issues using conditional comments (Wikipedia). As these are only interpreted by IE, I think this allows to sepcifically adapt elements to IE.
For exemple, the privacy statment was displayed in a smaller font in IE than in Firefox. I added a conditional comment which defines a css-class which changes the size of a font:
<!--[if lte IE 7]>
<style type="text/css">
 .groesser {font-size:14px;}
</style>
<![endif]-->
 <!--[if lte IE 8]>
<style type="text/css">
 .groesser {font-size:14px;}
</style>
<![endif]-->

I added this to the beginning of my privacy.pstpl file, and used it at the appropriate spot. I think this is a workable alternative to changing the template.css file until it is displayed correctly in all browsers...

Re: Aw: Internet Explorer 3 years 9 months ago #55890

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 827
Mazi is correct. If your HTML is well-formed there should be NO differences in survey behaviour between browsers. There may be some small display differences but these can usually be avoided with valid CSS. You can use the conditional statements in the <head> section to include browser-specific styles or stylesheets but, in my opinion, this should be a last resort - it's kind of like putting a bandaid on the dike.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by tpartner.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
Donation Image