Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Remove excess space in question text - help!

Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55700

• wian1
  • Fresh Lemon
I have recently updated my LS installation from 1.71 to 1.90.
There are lots of great changes, but one problem I've found is that all questions are now displayed with lots of extra white space.

More precisely, under each question text is shown the answer options (such as text box, radio buttons, numeric input, etc). For all of my questions, these answer options have a large amount of white space above and below. When I compare to LS1.71 the space is a lot more. It looks like there are extra <b> or <p> tags somewhere.

I have tried all sorts of things to remove the space.
i) I am using a modified template based on 'basic', but I still get the same space issues when using other templates (such as default, bluengrey, clear_logo).
ii) I have tried using Firebug to work out what is causing the space, but cannot locate anything helpful
iii) I have switched off the html editor and have checked that I have no extra tags in my question text.

Has anyone else had a similar issue (can't find anything in the forums) or have any suggestions about how to reduce this white space?
Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55705

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 746
Can you attach a screenshot or activate a sample survey?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55710

• wian1
  • Fresh Lemon
I've taken a screenshot of part of my survey. The lines in red show where the extra space is. You'll also see that the "tip" (Only numbers may be entered in this field) for Q5 and Q6 is misaligned with the text box. In my previous LS installation the spaces were noticeably smaller and tips lined up. Hope that helps explain what I'm trying to fix.
Attachments:

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55734

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Can you activate the survey for us to see the source code?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55741

• wian1
  • Fresh Lemon
I'm right in the thick of developing the surevy so a bit tricky to activate just now.

What I've done instead is export a question group and imported it into the demo site. The test survey is called "white space test" and I have used the same template that my site is based on - "basic". This test survey displays the extra white space in the same way that my survey does.

Address of survey is demo.limesurvey.org/index.php?sid=97895&newtest=Y&lang=en

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55754

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
That link doesn't work. Did you set "Survey preview only for administration users" to "No" in Global Settings --> Security?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55755

• tammo
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
Could this not be something to be resolved through margin/padding settings in the CSS?

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55758

• wian1
  • Fresh Lemon
I just checked the link to the test survey I set up and it's gone. Looks like demo surveys are cleared after a short period of time. Is there any way to make it persistent? The white space is easy to replicate - any questions created using the 'basic' template (as well as several others) will show up the issue.

The space could well be a padding issue in CSS, but I've searched (in template.css) and tried all sorts of changes but so far with no luck.

Any ideas?

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55760

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
Okay, the best thing may be for you to attach a small sample survey and your template here.

I am happy to test it but don't have time to create matching test surveys.
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Re: Remove excess space in question text - help! 3 years 6 months ago #55772

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
1. Clear your browser cache so that no chached/outdated CSS file is loaded.

2. Can you reproduce the problem using the default template?

3. The space of the bottom, will it stay the same if you enter some question help text?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
Donation Image