Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: problem when piping followed by array

problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54355

• rvenkat
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a multiple options question in Group 1 and the answers are piped to another multiple options question in Group 2. The answers from Group 2 are piped to an array in Group 3.

In Group 2 or Group 3 or Group 4 if I include an "array by column" (where columns are strongly agree - strongly disagree and rows are statements), then the piping sequence is not working. When I include this "array by column question underneath my piped questions in Group 2 or 3 or even put this in a newly created Group 4, none of the choices that are supposed to be piped appear.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered such a problem? Is there a way to get around this problem? If I am unable to add "array by column" or other array questions after the piping, I can't use Limesurvey.

Other than this one issue, it's a very impressive tool. Thanks for your response.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54357

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 285
Hmm, sorry, I can't really follow...

So you have 2 multiple option question. So the answers that are marked in the first one are asked again in the second one, right? Up to this point everything seems to work.

At least this is what I understood you mean with piping, right?

So then you have an array question, which should only show what is marked in the second multiple option question? And this doesn't happen, right? How did you try to achieve this? With the array filter option?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54363

• rvenkat
  • Senior Lime
Thanks for the quick response. I am sorry if I wasn't very clear. Let me explain again.

Question Group 1
There are three questions (1) multiple options (2) a drop-down list and (3) an array

The selections from Question 1 are piped to the next page.

Question Group 2
There is one question (question 4), which is also multiple options, where the options are generated by the piped answers from question 1 in Group 1.

Question Group 3
The selected answers from this question 4 in Group 2 are piped to an array.

Presentation format is "group by group". Everything works fine in the above setup.

The trouble happens, when I want to place another array questions (or array by columns) in Group 2, which does not depend on the piped answers from Group 1. I want everyone to answer this array question irrespective of their choice is Group 1/Question 1.

If I place this new array question in Group 2 or Group 3 or create a new group for it (say, Group 4), then the entire piping process stops working.

There's nothing obvious to me from the documentation. I have lots of experience with several other online survey tools and haven't encountered anything like this. I am new to Limesurvey, so I suspect I am making an error somewhere.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54366

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Ahh, OK, everything works well, until you include an additional question before the array with the piping (array filter, I assume?).

Which version of Limesurvey do you use?

Could you show an example survey here?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54370

• rvenkat
  • Senior Lime
I have attached screen shots of a sample survey. After the piping if I use "array by column" then piping is not working. But if I have a Yes/No or a multiple options question following the piping sequence, then there is no problem.

Again. thanks very much for your response.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey_sample_survey.pdf
File Size: 50075

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54372

• rvenkat
  • Senior Lime
Just wanted to add that I am using version 1.90+ (build 9642).
Thanks.

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54379

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Good to know that it is a recent version. I'll have a look at this and will make a little test, when I have a little more time.

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54405

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 742
rvenkat, this may be a bug. Can you attache an exported smple survey for testing?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54420

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
Please test if the problem still exists at the latest release. If so please open a ticket at the bugtracker and...

1. Give as much information as possible

2. Attach your survey. You can mark your ticket "private" so that only the developers will be able to take a look at it.

3. Provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem.

4. If possible/helpful please provide screenshots

Afterwards please post the link to the bugtracker so we can follow the progress.

Thanks!

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re:problem when piping followed by array 3 years 7 months ago #54468

• rvenkat
  • Senior Lime
Thanks for responding.

I was making a mistake in specifying answers and questions.
My answer is a strongly agree-disagree (5-point) scale.
My questions are 10 statements.

The column by array, puts the strongly agree - disagree in rows and the statements in columns. Each column is narrow and the table become quite long and ugly.

I am used to seeing the scale (strongly agree-disagree) in the columns and the statements in rows. When I try to do this, the piping stops working.

Column by array is obviously not setup to place the scale in columns. I am wondering if there is a way to do this? In other arrays, the scale (say, Array-numbers or Array-5 point), the scale appears in columns. I would like to flip the columns and rows.

Thanks again for looking into the piping issue. It is resolved.
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Donation Image