Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Editable Welcome message at beginning?

Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #53934

• nicoladie
  • Fresh Lemon
It seems there is no way that you can change the Welcome message or the Description of the survey once you have set it up. Even when you duplicate copies of the survey, there is still no way to change the initial message whatsoever.

It is very annoying that you can't edit it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #53968

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
All this can be edited on page 2 / 2 when editing the survey.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #53970

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 381
Mazi, is there another way to get to this page than to click on "save & continue"? I find it not very user-friendly and even I found myself forgetting that this option is there. It is probably because anyone would expect this to be one of the tabs and not after saving the changes.

Do you think it is possible to make the "save & continue" Button, just a save button and add the page with the texts as a tab? Or is there a specific reason for having this as a second step? I guess it is something that grew historically (probably before it was only 2 pages in two steps, but now we have like 5 tabs and than a second step).
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #53973

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
holch, please test if this has improved at 1.91, I think there have at least been some changes.

The reason for splitting this up is that at the second page you might have several tabs when having different languages whiles on the first page just general settings are shown.
It could still be more clear though so if you have any ideas on how to improve it, we might make it another Google Code in task.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #53977

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
I downloaded the 1.91 beta yesterday, but did not yet have the time to install and test it. But it reads like there have been made some nice improvements.

You are right, I did not think about the different language versions (I usually create different questionnaires in projects with more than one language).

However, it is strange that you have to save the other parts to get to this. I will check if this has improved in 1.91 and if not, I will think on how to best improve this. Because I think you should reach that screen without having to save. I think many people screen through Limesurvey to find this, but don't want to click a save button, so they don't find it and think it does not exist.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #53987

• nicoladie
  • Fresh Lemon
Why not put everything in one page? There shouldn't be any dependency of the welcome message entry on choosing language before you can enter it?

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #53988

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
@Nicoladie: I didn't think of it before as well. But when you run a survey with several languages, you need to translate the welcome message and the others to each of these languages, thus you will need several tabs for the different languages. On the first page there are already various tabs.

However, what I could think of would be a tab for the texts and then a second row of tabs for the different language version. For sure this would be better than to have it on several pages. But I will try install the beta tonight and see what has/will change.

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #53995

• nicoladie
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes, that is a more intuitive way to do it.

Also, it may also be more intuitive if you use a drop-down menu for the selection of language. A tab does not disclose what is in the content, but a pull-down menu will show what is available under that tab-selection.

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #54004

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
What about two "edit survey setting" icons? One for the general stuff (page one) and one for the language specific messages (page two)?

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re:Editable Welcome message at beginning? 3 years 11 months ago #54032

• nicoladie
  • Fresh Lemon
Having 2 "edit survey setting" makes it more complicated than it is, because what you want is to be able to make the welcome message page editable immediately, depending on your selection in the available language choice (by using the drop-down menu) (just like how you change the "surveys" or "question groups").

That is, if you put everything in one page (with both editable welcome message and the ability to add/remove languages in the same page), then add a drop-down menu for the currently available language.

Then the user will be able to pull-down the menu and select their language of choice to change the welcome message.

If they don't want to change the welcome message, they can just add/remove the language right there. Once they add/remove the language, the page should refresh to update the new item-list in the drop-down menu to reflect the new addition/deletion of available language.

Let's say they want to change the welcome message of their Spanish survey, all they need is to pull-down and select Spanish in the menu. Then it will refresh to the Spanish welcome message editable page.

If they want to add Dutch to it, they can do that in that same page to add it. Then it refreshes to include Dutch in the drop-down menu. Then they can change the welcome message immediately (without having to page through different tab or icon to do that). It will be all-in-one page. (If I understood how the language setting correctly.)
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by nicoladie.
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Donation Image