Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Editing Template Variables

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53691

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
No, no screenshots to be seen in this thread.

As described here docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...anslating+LimeSurvey you can find the files in the folder /locale/your_language_code/LC_MESSAGES/.

For English this would be /locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/

Using PoEdit itself is quite straight forward.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53718

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
i really need some help here. I do not understand how to edit the translation files so that i can alter what the (Welcome} message.
I am reading the documentation but not understanding please assist.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53720

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Honestly, my problem is, that I don't understand what you don't understand. ;-)
I found editing translations pretty simple and straight forward. At the moment I am a little surprised that you encounter so many difficulties, especially as you seem to be a advanced computer user, if you are allowed to work with putty on the server of the productive environment.

However, let's start from the beginning.

- Did you download the translation files to your computer and saved in in a folder?
- Is PoEdit installed?
- Can you open the translation files?
- What does it look like, when you open the translation files?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by holch.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53721

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Your IT guy is still out of the office? He can't assist you? Because remote help in those cases (this has little to do with LS, but with using programs and computers in general) is very difficult.

I will try and see what we can do from here.

This is how it look for me, when I open the en.po file with PoEdit:
poedit.png

You see the base string in the left column, as it should appear now in your Limesurvey installation. In the right column, there would usually be the translations for other languages. But for obvious reasons, in the English version, there are no translated string.

I have never done this for the English version, but if you now search for the string that you want to change, you can then insert your modified string in the lower text box and it should appear in the right column. Then save it and upload it into the right folder of Limesurvey. Then the changes should be applied.

However, I strongly recommend to make such changes in a test environment first (this is considered a good practice), and only upload it to the productive system (the server where you want to run the surveys on) once you are sure that it is what you want. And make backups from the original files, so that you can go back in case you did something wrong and get lost.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53726

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
I have attached what i see when I open the en.po file in Poedit.

when i use the find utility to search for (WELCOME} i find what is shown in the screenshot.

In the first section i was expecting to find

Welcome to this sample survey
You should have a great time doing this

but instead I saw
Welcome Message:

and in the second I saw
Welcome page

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53727

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
You need to make sure that your screenshots are smaller than 800*800px, otherwise they won't show!

So I am not sure what you see. But you shouldn't search for {WELCOME} because this is just the place holder in the template to show this text. You should search for the actual text of the welcome message.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53728

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Actually, about which message are we talking?

I just recall now, that you might talk about the text that you can insert yourself in the Limesurvey front end.

Go to survey settings --> click on "save and continue" and you will be presented a screen with different standard texts, one of which is the "welcome message".

See if that fixes your problem. Otherwise please show an example survey or some screenshots (if you really don't manage to get them to show in the forum, maybe you can upload them somewhere else?).

Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by holch.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53732

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
ok. we have used winscp to view, locate and open the en.po file for editing.

we searched the file for the following phrases but are not finding anything
A note on privacy
This survey is anonymous.
The record kept of your survey responses does not contain any identifying information about you unless a specific question in the survey has asked for this. If you have responded to a survey that used an identifying token to allow you to access the survey, you can rest assured that the identifying token is not kept with your responses. It is managed in a separate database, and will only be updated to indicate that you have (or haven't) completed this survey. There is no way of matching identification tokens with survey responses in this survey.

we wish to put out own privacy message.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by JoeJoe.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53739

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Again, no screenshots.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 8 months ago #53748

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
ok. can i email the screenshots?

please see my previous message
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
Donation Image