Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Editing Template Variables

Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53658

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
The templates in limesurvey have variables with present text. for example

Varibale:{Welcome}
Preset text: Welcome to this sample survey. You should have a great time doing this

What my colleague was trying to do was change the preset text of the {WELCOME}and {PRIVACY} variables so that the new welcome message and privacy message would appear on all the templates where the variable is used.

She was trying to find the variable in the database so that we can alter what the welcome message states in one location and not have to go to each template.

Granted she can copy the template and then remove the variable with the preset text but then what if a person creates a survey using a template different to the one she copied and modified because it has the desired colors and what not.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53659

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
You need to adapt the text in the translation files (there is a good description on how to translate LS in the manual).
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53660

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
oh. the PoEdit is installed on the survey author's desktop as opposed to the limesurvey live environment?

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53662

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
PoEdit is just an editor to help you to translate the files. If you want to translate the files, you need to get the respective files on your computer, save them, translate them and upload them back to the server.

Due to some other comments you made, I would recommend to install a LS test environment on your local computer (e.g. XAMPP + Limesurvey), so you can test your changes to LS and only upload the changes/modifications to your productive system once you are done and happy with it.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53663

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Sorry, I don't understand the question. Just follow the instructions provided by holch.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53684

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
i downloaded poedit and the two translation files for english to my pc.

I opened the .en file using the poedit (see screen shot A) and when i right click on the Welcome I see where that entry references (see screen shot a) Now when i go to open any of the 3 references listed. I get an error message which is most likely due to no opening the language files from the pc with the limesurvey installation.

first i want to know if i am on the right track here?

second when i search the path shown in the reference

/var/lib/limesurvey-svn/subversion1x/admin/html.php

i am only getting as far as /var/lib(see screen shot b)

is this because we do not have something included in our installation?
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by JoeJoe. Reason: not sure if attachment A was included

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53685

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
No screenshots here. Probably you ran into the Pixel-Limit (800*800px).

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53686

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
do you see screen shot b? i used the select file to attach method for that and selected the .png. i also edited the post and did it for A as well.

the app i am using to browse the directories/files on the limesurvey installation from my windows desktop is called WINSCP.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53688

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Just download the necessary files to your destop. Don't browse them directly on the server. This should be the best way to do it. Alternatively you can download them with the installation zip file of Limesurvey.

Re:Editing Template Variables 3 years 7 months ago #53689

• JoeJoe
  • Junior Lime
yup that is what i did. i am looking at the translation files from my pc.

which directory should these two translation files be located on the limesurvey installation theoretically?

i would write some documentation of how to use poedit to modify the welcome message but i need to get it right first.

were any of my screen shots seen?
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
Donation Image