Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multiple choice only one answer being added

Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51184

I have just installed Limesurvey (using Fantastico) and have had several issues but most were fixed either by re-installing or using a different browser. However I am still unable to add more than 1 answer (subquestion) in a multiple choice. None of the buttons on that page seem to be working either. I have just done another re-install and it still isn't working. I've looked through the manual and I seem to be doing everything correctly. I'm about to give up and look for another survey software. Help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51188

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 254
Search the forum here. I remember seeing this issue (and its solution) coming up every few days.

By the way: which version are you talking about? Because the versions on Fantastico are usually quite old. I wouldn't rely on a fantastico installation anyway. As far as I know they do modify the software they are installing.

A manual install of Limesurvey doesn't take much longer and isn't too complicated either.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51191

Thanks for the reply. I did search the forum but the one answer I saw related to someone doing a manual install. However if the problem does come up every couple of days isn't this an issue that should be looked at as a software issue? I have never had an issue using Fantastico before and I've used and tried out several different programs such as Joomla, Wordpress, etc. The version for Limesurvey is 1.90+ Build 9160. It does tell me that there is a new version available but I get errors trying to update. I also get constant error messages when using IE (both version 7 and 8), though it seems ok with Opera. But can't add choices for multiple questions in any browser. Unfortunately for some of the questions I have to use multiple choice.

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51193

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
No, as it seems to be a server issue, as far as I recall, I think it has to do with mod_security vs. Jquery.

There must be more issues like yours in the forum. I remember that this comes up every few days.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51194

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
One problem with fantastico is, that they don't update regularily. I am surprised that you already got 1.9 with them and not something like 1.87 or even 1.81. But it is a long time ago that I last had a look at Fantastico.

In 1.9x there is an easy update function. But it seems that the fantastico version doesn't allow you to update, which might be caused by modifications that they made to include it within their tool.

I have given up to use fantastico, because usually the installation of the included tools is quite straight forward. Might take a few minutes more, but saves you headaches in the future.

Problem is also, as the developers don't know how fantastico is implementing Limesurvey, it is difficult to help.

If Limesurvey had a general problem with the IEs the forum would be full of complaints, so we have to see what is wrong with your particular installation.

Not being able to add answers to multipe choice questions sounds like a problem with Jquery. What happens when you use the quick add feature instead of the "+" sign?

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51195

As I've said I've not had a problem with Fantastico and no previous problems updating software. I do not get any response at all using the quick add. The current problem with IE seems to relate to this particular problem. (Keeps telling me there is an error on the page) If you could explain the problem regarding mod_security vs jquery I can check in the CPanel files and see if I can fix it myself or if it is complicated get my host to look at it. Much appreciated.

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51196

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, I never had the problem and I don't really know how to solve it. I just remember to have seen various posts about the problem. One solution is switching off mod_security, if I recall right.

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51197

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51200

Thanks! I contacted my host with the information. They were already aware of the conflict problems with Limesurvey and mod_security. They've disabled mod_security and Limesurvey is now working. It might be an idea since this is such a common issue with many different hosts to have a note put in the manual that a potential conflict is possible and that the solution is to turn off mod_security. Would save valuable time for those new to Limesurvey and prevent posting to this forum every couple of days on the same issue!

Re:Multiple choice only one answer being added 3 years 5 months ago #51207

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
I have added this to the documentation here:
docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...on_about_your_server

However, our documentation is a wiki, so whenever you feel that something isn't clear or missing, please feel free to add it to the documentation. We can use any help we can get (via donation or by helping out in the forums/documentations or with development), to keep this project running.

Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by holch.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
Donation Image