Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Editing Language en.po

Editing Language en.po 4 years 5 months ago #41209

• reddem0n
  • Fresh Lemon
I made edits with the english language file through POEDIT. Saved it and it updated the .mo file as well. I uploaded the new files over the original ones in the en directory.

However, the changes I made did not go into effect. All it is are verbiage changes for specific areas of the pages.

Would anyone happen to know what I'm doing wrong? I compared the file size from the original and new, both are different for the en.po and .mo file.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Editing Language en.po 4 years 5 months ago #41210

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
Did you clear your browser cache or load the page in a new browser (window)?

Are you sure you edited the correct part of the translations, somtetimes there is more than 1 string with the some meaning.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re:Editing Language en.po 4 years 5 months ago #41212

• reddem0n
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes sir, I edited everything. If you want to check yourself, I have attached it to this forum.

Re:Editing Language en.po 4 years 5 months ago #41215

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Did you carefully follow these instructions: docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...anslating+LimeSurvey ?
It is important to follow each step, otherwise it might not work.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re:Editing Language en.po 4 years 5 months ago #41227

• reddem0n
  • Fresh Lemon
Here is exactly what I did.

I looked through the documentation in this area -
Updating an existing language file

1) I downloaded POEdit
2) I opened notepad and made all my changes for the en.po file. Just minor verbiage changes.
3) I went on POEdit opened the file to make sure everything was proper and then hit the save button.
4) .mo file and .po file were updated.
5) I uploaded the files and overwrote to the /public_html/domain.com/survey/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES location
6) I made sure to check the file size difference on both .po and .mo to make sure the changes went through.

I reloaded and tested this out on 3-4 computers in the office and the old verbiage still comes up. English is selected as my default language.

Re:Editing Language en.po 4 years 5 months ago #41254

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Please upload your original .po file, as well as the edited one and add 2-3 sentences and how you want them to be changed.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re:Editing Language en.po 4 years 5 months ago #41284

• reddem0n
  • Fresh Lemon
In the zip file I have attached. The two files with .bkup are the original file backups I've made. The ones that end with .po and .mo are the new revised ones.

2 Example Sentences in where I have made modifications:

Original
"This email is to confirm that you have completed the survey titled {SURVEYNAME} and your response has been saved. Thank you for participating.\n"

New
"This email is to confirm that you have completed the survey titled {SURVEYNAME} and your response has been saved.\n"

Original
"You, or someone using your email address, have registered to participate in an online survey titled {SURVEYNAME}.\n"

New
"You, (or someone using your email address), have registered to participate in an online survey titled: {SURVEYNAME}.\n"

File Attachment:

File Name: language.zip
File Size: 97371
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by reddem0n.

Re:Editing Language en.po 4 years 5 months ago #41308

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
I tested following the procedure described in our docs and it works fine.

Before:
<a href='http://manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSurvey'>translation</a>_before.PNG

After changing the string and replacing the .mo file
translation_after.PNG

Dr. Marcel Minke
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Mazi.

Re:Editing Language en.po 3 years 3 months ago #61444

• mamdez
  • Fresh Lemon
I am having the same problem as reddem0n was having. How was this actually resolved? Or was it resolved? Simply having someone else follow the same steps using a sample they created does not really tell me anything about the original issue. I followed the steps in the documentation, the same as reddem0n, and the newly generated .mo file was uploaded after the old one was deleted. Why don't the changes show? I have tried with different computers as well. Is there a cache cleaner inside Limesurvey? Is there a caveat to generating the .mo file? Is anything else required after you upload the .mo files? Has it only been tested on certain server environments? Is there a cross-platform issue with Poedit? For example, I generated the .mo file on Windows, but I am trying to use it on a linux server. Does that matter? I didn't find anything on Poedit's site. I have read and reread all the LimeSurvey documentation and the forum posts on this. What gives?
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by mamdez.

Re:Editing Language en.po 3 years 1 month ago #64648

• mamdez
  • Fresh Lemon
mamdez wrote:
I am having the same problem as reddem0n was having. How was this actually resolved? Or was it resolved? ....

After months of intermittent searching, I have not found a resolution to this issue, but I have found the likely cause. LimeSurvey uses php-gettext to read the .mo files. I am trying to modify the current English commands, not change to another language. I have confirmed that my en.mo file is not being read at all. This appears to be because English is set as the default and the program is automatically reading from the .html pages when English is selected. Another issue is that if PHP is not compiled with the locale abbreviations that are referred to in the gettext.inc file, then php-gettext will not be able to read the file. I found that my server system, Cent OS 5.6, refers to the English locale as en or en-US or en_US.UTF8. In LimeSurvey, it doesn't matter what I type after "en" in the browser's address box, the same English language commands appear, but this is not true with other languages, so it is clear that only the "en.mo" file is not being read.
Does anyone know how to change this so that LimeSurvey defaults to "en.mo" and how to edit gettext so that all of the possible "en" locale abbreviations are referenced?
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
Donation Image