Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Tracking what percent of questions in a survey are complete

• RaCMJS
  • RaCMJS's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 5 months ago #112777 by RaCMJS
Hi,
I am trying to figure out whether Limesurvey calculates or stores the percent of completed questions in a survey. This is important because my research group has Lime tied to a survey management system that sends out different notices based on the different completion levels of a survey (for example a gift certificate for people who completed almost every question). We can't rely on people clicking the submit button because some people tend to click through and not answer any questions. I know we can make all the questions mandatory, but this is not an option for the type of work we do.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether there is already a tool in Lime that calculates this accounting both for question based branching AND attribute based branching. I don't need the respondent to see this, only to be able to download the information or access it somehow. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 5 months ago #112778 by holch
If a person moves on without answering a non-mandatory question, I think this is considered answering the question by "no answer".

So I don't think that there is a way to calculate the % of answered questions by your definition.

You might be able to write a custom script to calculate this. i think if they did not answer, the column for this question is simply empty.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• tpartner
More
9 years 5 months ago #112798 by tpartner
LimeSurvey does not keep a count of the answered questions but you can use Expression manager and a hidden equation type question to store it in the data.

The equation would look something like:
Code:
{count(that.Q1, that.Q2, that.Q3, that.Q4)}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
9 years 5 months ago #112811 by karencheah
How about using assessment so that only selected answers would get a score? So skipping non-mandatory question hence resulting in it answered as "no answer" would get no score. And at the end of the survey, you can get the total score.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • holch
More
9 years 5 months ago #112813 by holch
I think what karencheah is proposing is actually not a bad idea.

However, if there are questions were multiple responses are allowed, I am not sure if this will work, as it will probably add up all points.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• RaCMJS
  • RaCMJS's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 5 months ago #112903 by RaCMJS
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think using assessment or a hidden question solves the problem if the survey has complex branching. I don't know if someone is supposed to get a score until they completed the previous question. I will keep pondering this.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose