Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

IE 10/11 latent checkbox update

• cshaw
  • cshaw's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #110427 by cshaw
IE 10/11 latent checkbox update was created by cshaw
This behavior is hard to describe, its a visual thing, but maybe you have seen what I am talking about:

In IE10/11 when my survey presents a series of check boxes, where one or more is an exclusive option if the survey taker clicks one of the exclusive items without moving the mouse pointer off of the item, the check box is completely filled in. It isn't until the mouse pointer is moved away from the selection that the check mark appears and the other options are visually disabled.

This can lead the survey taker to repeatedly click the check box thinking that for some reason their click didn't work. So they click again, BUT on the second click a "pretender" check shows up and the other items are disabled, UNTIL the mouse pointer moves at which time the check disappears and all boxes are re-enabled. It is really confusing behavior.

For the same survey in FireFox or Chrome or Safari as soon as the box is clicked a check mark appears and the other boxes are disable regardless of where the mouse pointer is, so there is no issue in those browsers. Yay, browsers that are consistant!

SO have any of you thought of a solution to this "feature" from Microsoft? Other than telling survey takers to try a different browser? I am coming close to saying nope, can't use IE for my survey and becoming a Microsoft basher. This is tempting even though I live in the Seattle area and know many people who work at Microsoft. Geesh!

So the only way to reproduce this is to use IE10 or IE11 which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy at this point. B)

Carole Shaw
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by cshaw.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 8 months ago #110429 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic IE 10/11 latent checkbox update
There are maybe, something with focus event in IE ???

Did it happen with a multiple choixe with only 4 questin and 1 exclusive ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • cshaw
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #110432 by cshaw
Replied by cshaw on topic IE 10/11 latent checkbox update
I first noticed it with a survey that has 13 multiple choice values where two are exclusive, but in testing the problem is reproducible with 4 question, one of which is an exclusive option. The attached bit map shows what the screen looks like when the survey taker clicks the exclusive option without moving the mouse off of the check box. (Note that in the screen shot the mouse pointer doesn't show up.)
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by cshaw.
  • cshaw
More
9 years 8 months ago #110433 by cshaw
Replied by cshaw on topic IE 10/11 latent checkbox update
Having a heck of a time inserting the bit map ... I guess you will have to use your imagination. The box in front of "Exclusive" is filled in black. The other boxes are box outlines.
  • tpartner
More
9 years 8 months ago #110448 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic IE 10/11 latent checkbox update
What template are you using?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose