Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: HowTo Filter the Columns of an Array (Numbers)

HowTo Filter the Columns of an Array (Numbers) 5 months 3 weeks ago #109458

Is there a way in the LimeSurvey dialogs to control the visibility of columns in an array (numbers) question?

I am working on implementing a survey in which a set of actions is presented in a multi choice list.
i.e.
"Select the following types of communication you participate in with one or more of your contacts."

A subsequent question will present a lengthy list of contacts, and ask that the participant mark which communication actions are engaged in with each contact.

This is being created as questions of type Array (numbers) with the checkbox option enabled. The desired result is a grid of checkboxes with communication types as columns and contacts as the rows.

We would like the list of actions from the setup question to be used as an array filter for the columns of the array numbers question type. Only those actions that the participant stated they sometimes use would be shown as a checkbox option for each listed contact.

I can easily manage using an array filter from a previous question to control display of array (numbers) rows, but I haven't found a way to have an array filter control array (numbers) columns.

To restate my opening question,
Is there a way in the LimeSurvey dialogs, or is a bit of custom javascript the only way to hide columns based on previous answer values?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HowTo Filter the Columns of an Array (Numbers) 5 months 3 weeks ago #109462

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 826
You will need to use JavaScript for that.

For inspiration - manual.limesurvey.org/Workarounds:_Manip...2Multiple-Options.22.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scottturnbull

HowTo Filter the Columns of an Array (Numbers) 5 months 3 weeks ago #109464

• Bigred
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 10
I read in a previous forum post that someone created a multiple choice question for each column then by using float left on them, they lined them up side by side. (I wish i could find a link to point you to it..If i do i will add it to this post)

The answer options were also in a multiple choice question with the same amount of options but the checkboxes were hidden. The text lined up with all of the other questions.

Instead of using the array filter, you can set the relevance for each "column"(question) separately.

This approach would allow you to use all of the built in limesurvey exclusive options available for multiple choice questions but will involve some styling on your part to get it looking right.

If you do it like this though you will probably want a fixed question width so the columns wont stack when the window is resized or the respondent has a low resolution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scottturnbull

HowTo Filter the Columns of an Array (Numbers) 5 months 1 week ago #109893

I was hoping I had simply missed the combination of dialog knobs that would give control of column visibility.

As with many such projects, the requirements shift, and the need to hide the columns has faded away. It was a worthy exercise in use of techniques for the javascript merging of multiple questions into a single composite question on the screen. I'll tuck the technique into my toolbox for use another day.

Thanks, all.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
Donation Image