Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Maintaining conditionals when importing question groups?

• sD960
  • sD960's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #107581 by sD960
I am trying to import question groups from someone else's survey (survey B) into my survey (survey A). Both surveys are complex with lots of conditionals. The intention is for survey B to follow survey A, with no conditional logic links from B to A. I imported each of survey B's question groups in their proper order, figuring that survey B's conditionals would be preserved. They were not, or I wouldn't be posting.

Can I import the questions groups from survey B and still maintain survey B's conditionals? I've thought of a possible solution but haven't tried it yet: Move all of survey B's questions into a single group before exporting them, import that single group into survey A, and then re-divide into the original groups. (This would be time-consuming, but not nearly as time-consuming as re-doing all of B's conditionals.)

Help? Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 10 months ago #107718 by tpartner
When exporting/importing groups, the question IDs are necessarily changed so any conditions created with the conditions designer will be broken.

If you use relevance and question codes instead of traditional conditions, they will work in the new survey.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • sD960
  • sD960's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #107738 by sD960
Thanks. I've already done the exporting/importing and gone through the soul-killing process of redoing the conditionals in the imported survey, but your info will be helpful if we're ever brave and/or foolhardy enough to collaborate with another group on constructing a survey. Also, it's good to learn how to do stuff behind the scenes.

I think the manual should clearly state that conditionals are not preserved in imported groups. "Alternatively you can import a previously exported group" in the Creating a Group section ( manual.limesurvey.org/Creating_a_question_group ) doesn't give a hint of that limitation.

Thanks again!

(And yes, we support you folks.)
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
9 years 10 months ago #107740 by tpartner
The manual is a wiki so please feel free to update it if you feel that something is missing.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose