Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Use Javascript, find if page is loaded for the first time, or due to errors

Use Javascript, find if page is loaded for the first time, or due to errors 7 months 3 weeks ago #106967

• crafter
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all

Is there a way, using Javascript, to determine if page is being loaded for the first time, or due to errors on the page.

I have a small Javascript function that attaches to the page load, so that a message appears for a few seconds before the page is shown. If the page is completed with validation errors, the Javascript is reloaded and the message is displayed again.

However, I would want the message to not display if the page is being returned to due to validation errors.

How can I determine if a page is being reloaded due to errors.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Use Javascript, find if page is loaded for the first time, or due to errors 7 months 3 weeks ago #106968

• crafter
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 1
Actually, I may have found a solution.

The secret may be in these lines in the survey_runtime.js file
function showStartPopups(){
    if(typeof showpopup=="undefined"){showpopup=1;}
    if(typeof startPopups=="undefined"){startPopups=[];}
    if(showpopup){
        $.each(startPopups,function(key, text){
            alert($("<div/>").html(text).text());// Parse HTML because of &#039;
        });
    }
}

A page loaded with errors contains this code (as an example)
showpopup=1;
startPopups=["One or more mandatory questions have not been answered. You cannot proceed until these have been completed.","One or more questions have not been answered in a valid manner. You cannot proceed until these answers are valid."];
whereas a page with no errors contains an empty startPopups array
showpopup=1;
startPopups=[]

therefore, checking for an empty startPopups array will get me the solution I require, it seems.
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by crafter. Reason: removed data from startPopups

Use Javascript, find if page is loaded for the first time, or due to errors 7 months 2 weeks ago #106972

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 868
And you can replace showStartPopups function in template.js to test it.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds
Donation Image