Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can LimeSurvey Replace/Replicate the Yahoo Groups pre-NEO Polling Feature?

Can LimeSurvey Replace/Replicate the Yahoo Groups pre-NEO Polling Feature? 6 months 2 weeks ago #100211

• sue1
  • Fresh Lemon
After a number of years, Yahoo Groups has recently made major modifications to their web sites. One of the features that a number of groups use is the Poll feature. The changes made have "broken" it for us and we're looking for an alternative.

The way it used to work for us is as follows:

We would set up a poll to answer a single question. The question would have 3-4 answers in a radio-button format. Once a poll is created, an automated email goes out to that Yahoo Group (i.e. a Yahoo-defined distribution list) announcing the availability and duration of the poll. Users (who have to log into Yahoo Groups, so Yahoo already knows who they are) go and vote in the poll. They can re-vote and change their answer as many times as they wish, as long as the poll remains open for voting. But, only their last vote counts -- all their previous responses are discarded. Once a poll is closed for voting, one of our moderators goes in and looks at the results of the poll (actually, anyone can see the voting results at any time - this is handy for everyone). The voting results are displayed showing first the response, then the list of email addresses who voted for that particular response. Then the second response is displayed, and the list of email addresses for the second response. And so on. Our moderator is able to highlight and copy just the list of email address for an individual response from the Yahoo screen and then paste it into a separate program, where we use the email address information further.

What's changed in Yahoo Groups now is that we no longer can see the email addresses of the people who voted for each response. We see a listing of Yahoo profile names instead, which are NOT unique nor helpful at all to us. We can no longer tell exactly who voted for which response.

Therefore, we're looking for a new solution. LimeSurvey appears to be a rich and complex product, and may be overkill for us. Can LimeSurvey produce the same results as we used to get from Yahoo Groups, and still follow the same rules/procedures as I've described above? If so, how? If not, what would the missing functionality be?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can LimeSurvey Replace/Replicate the Yahoo Groups pre-NEO Polling Feature? 6 months 2 weeks ago #100216

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 254
Limesurvey is made for a totally different purpose. It is quite flexible and a lot of things can be made with it. But from what I see in your requirements, this would not be able out of the box and the integration with the Yahoo Group would require a lot of custom coding. I don't think that Limesurvey is the right tool for what you are looking for.

Adapting Limesurvey probably costs more than coding a custom made app, specifically to your needs.

Maybe some of the developers (I am not a developer) can give some more feedback here. But to me, this looks like not worth to try.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Can LimeSurvey Replace/Replicate the Yahoo Groups pre-NEO Polling Feature? 6 months 2 weeks ago #100218

• sue1
  • Fresh Lemon
Actually, I've gotten pretty far so far. I was able to create a simple one-question survey. I played around with the tokens stuff and figured out that if I imported a list of names & email addresses into the database, I was able to attach them to a specific survey. I also found an option where someone can re-take the survey. I had it send out emails to some people and a couple of them have already responded and taken the survey.

The survey results though are showing all responses for everybody -- if someone took the survey three times, there's three result rows for that person, not just their latest response. If I could figure that out (plus figure out how to not have to load each persons name in the LimeSurvey database -- not crazy about that part since that requires someone to main this listing), then this would probably work great for us.

Can LimeSurvey Replace/Replicate the Yahoo Groups pre-NEO Polling Feature? 6 months 2 weeks ago #100219

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 254
Well, if the manual approach of importing the names into tokens is fine for you, this should work.

But I don't see how to change the fact that there are different answers for the same person, if the person takes the survey various times.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Can LimeSurvey Replace/Replicate the Yahoo Groups pre-NEO Polling Feature? 6 months 2 weeks ago #100222

• mfaber
  • Silver Donor
  • Thank you received: 21
I have not done yhis myself, but have you tried enabling "token-based response persistence" in combination with allowing more than one use of a token? According to the manual, yhis should allow users to come back to the survey and to change their previous answers.

Can LimeSurvey Replace/Replicate the Yahoo Groups pre-NEO Polling Feature? 6 months 2 weeks ago #100236

• sue1
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes, that was it, I found there were two token fields I had to change to get it to save only the latest response. That portion seems to be working now.

I also changed it to make it that a person just has to enter their first name, last name, & email address to access the survey (i.e. nobody has to be stored/maintained in the central database). This was the public registration token field. This works for the first time someone participates in a survey. They can take the survey again later and change their response if they still have their original email with the link with their token embedded it in. No problem taking the survey multiple times as long as they have their email.

But if they've lost that email and just go and try an re-take the survey from the main screen, when entering their FN, LN, & email again, it errors out and says that the email has already been registered. Any way around this? Perhaps there's a way to have the program email the user with their embedded token link again? Or some other solution?
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Donation Image