Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can I use Lime Survey for a timed exam / X number of questions from database

• SimPri
  • SimPri's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #97611 by SimPri
I played around with the demo site just now and have previously used Lime Survey for a standard survey. I have a need to provide online assessments which are limited to, say 60 minutes. I know that you can place a time limit on questions, however that won't work as some questions will be quick answers and others may require more than a minute.

Also, I also need the ability to display X number of questions from a larger questions database e.g an exam (survey) of 60 questions selected at random from a database of 200.

Is this something Lime Survey can do?
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 8 months ago #97628 by DenisChenu

martinbailey wrote: Is this something Lime Survey can do?

Surely,

But need developpment.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SimPri
  • SimPri
  • SimPri's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #97630 by SimPri
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm trying to understand the limitations of what Lime Survey can do today, to see whether we can work around them.

Is my understanding above correct e.g.:

The only time constraints that could be placed would be the number of days that they could take the exam and the number of seconds allowed to answer each questions.

There is currently no way to select a random number of questions from an overall pool of questions.
  • DenisChenu
More
10 years 8 months ago #97631 by DenisChenu

martinbailey wrote: The only time constraints that could be placed would be the number of days that they could take the exam and the number of seconds allowed to answer each questions.

You have independent 'Time limit' for each quetsion on some question type : manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Te...mit_.28time_limit.29

martinbailey wrote: There is currently no way to select a random number of questions from an overall pool of questions.

You can use Expression Manager for this:
manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...Randomization_Groups
or
manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...e_Question_Per_Group
To be adapted.
Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose