Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Non-linear questioning process: reviewing and completing answers later

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #96665 by awl
Hello!

New project, new problem (and I'm also still a newbie ;) ):

Imagine a fitness training program with daily exercises (constructed example):

Users can choose freely which and how much exercises to perform today. After his (daily) training, each user must enter what he has done, along with objective training parameters for each executed exercise, such as duration, heaviness and frequency, as well as subjective "ratings" by different scales, say degreee of motivation, degree of pain, degree of exhaustion afterwards.

In the evening of each day, the user is instructed to recall this training day, think about it, and to enter additional information on how he would change the parameters of today's excercises in order to optimize felt condition and efficiency of this training day. (In other words, he is asked to modify only parameters of today's actual exercises, but not the list of exercises itself.)

This procedure should be repeated each day for a certain period of time.

Seems to be a complicated process, with interruptions and regular "backjumps" to earlier answers in order to complete them. I'm wondering whether (and how) this can be done with limesurvey.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

awl
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by awl.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 9 months ago #96669 by holch
I think your use case is very far from what Limesurvey is made for. It can be tweeked quite a bit normally, but I think for your use case there is no reasonable way to do this with Limesurvey. I guess custom coding a tool for this is probably less work than to adapt Limesurvey to work the way you want.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: awl
More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #96697 by awl
You're confirming my fears... ;)

But it's good to get to know this from an authoritative source, so I can instantly dismiss the use of limesurvey in this case and save time. Thank you very much!

Regards,

awl

BTW, 3 of 4 Links in your signature aren't working anymore...
  • holch
More
10 years 9 months ago #96698 by holch
Well, I wouldn't consider myself an authorative source. I am not one of the developers, I am just a user helping out at the forums. So this is not 100%. I might oversee something.

But whenever when going back is involved, things get quite complicated with Limesurvey, which is more developed for a survey scenario which is quite linear starting at one point and go through the questionnaire until the end (with conditions and filters), but still quite linear.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: awl
More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #96701 by awl
Thanks again!

I've thought about it again, and I'm wondering whether the process can be "transformed" into a "linear" one by using backreferences instead of really jumping back in the questioning flow.

As far as I understood, two things are very possible with limesurvey: a) suspending questioning and resuming it later, and b) let coming questions depend on earlier answers (I don't yet oversee in detail how this is accomplished, but seemingly, it is possible up to a certain degree).

Consideration: If (b) allows a new question set which depends on - and contains - the respective former answers (does it?), this could be a reasonable representation of the intended task setting.

What do you think about such an idea?
More
9 years 7 months ago #111104 by giop
Sorry if i bump this question.
I've a similar problem and i'm planning to use limesurvey.

Its something new implemented?

Thanks ;)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose