Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multiple choice question with only one answer allowed

Multiple choice question with only one answer allowed 1 year 1 month ago #96529

• StuTheQ
  • Junior Lime
Hello everybody,

First of all, please let me apologize in advance, as I'm sure that the answer to my question is staring me in the face (somewhere in the manual, or here among the forum topics and posts).

I wanted to set up a multiple choice question where the respondent has to choose 'Answer A' or 'Answer B' or 'Answer C' or 'Answer D' to a question (this is the basis for a language training listening exercise).

A few clicks and four lines of text later, I had my 'Multiple Choice' question ready to go.

On previewing it, however, I realised that the respondent could check any number of the possible answers, which is not what I wanted.

Back to the manual. 'Maximum answers' = 1 in 'Advanced settings: Logic' seemed to be the solution. It worked but it doesn't look great as the respondent just gets a "Please select at most one answer" error message and the checkboxes remain checked. I also checked out 'Exclusive option (exclude_all_others)' but, to be honest, didn't really understand how it worked.

After a bit of searching and more reading, I then thought that an 'Array by column' question could be the answer (a regular 'Array' is not suitable as the 'Answer options' are complete sentences and take up a lot of space).

However, when I had set up the 'Array by column' question, I was disappointed by the layout (even though I know that this can probably be resolved with CSS).

The main issue, though, is how the the results will be presented: I have the impression that it won't be 'Question 1 = Answer B' but more 'Answer B = Question 1' (am I making sense here?!)

This is a classic 'Multiple Choice' question situation, but it would appear that the LimeSurvey 'Multiple Choice' (perhaps it would be better to call it 'Multiple Option') question is not what's required? (and an 'Array by column' question is not the best option, either?)

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and my apologies once again if the solution is, as I suspect, bl***y obvious!! :blush: )

Thank you all in advance!

Regards,

StuTheQ
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by StuTheQ.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Multiple choice question with only one answer allowed 1 year 1 month ago #96533

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 788
This is a classic 'Multiple Choice' question situation, but it would appear that the LimeSurvey 'Multiple Choice' (perhaps it would be better to call it 'Multiple Option') question is not what's required? (and an 'Array by column' question is not the best option, either?)
You say it's a multiple choice, but seems it's best a single choice question type.

Denis
PS: maybe i don't understand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuTheQ

Multiple choice question with only one answer allowed 1 year 1 month ago #96541

• StuTheQ
  • Junior Lime
Dear Denis,

Somebody shoot me, please!! :blush:

Thank you so much, Denis! As I said in my initial post, I was sure the solution was obvious (I think I was just focussing too much on the 'Multiple Choice' aspect of my question need).

(juste quelques mots en français, Denis! Je suis vraiment désolé; je m'obnubilais tellement sur l'aspect "QCM" de mon besoin qu'il a fini par devenir l'arbre qui cachait la forêt!! Je savais que la solution était forcement évidente (car LimeSurvey sait tout faire et a fortiori une simple QCM!), d'où mes excuses d'emblée! Merci beaucoup à nouveau!)

Regards,

StuTheQ

Multiple choice question with only one answer allowed 1 year 1 month ago #96543

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 788
Nop* :)

Denis
* : Pas de problèmes :)
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
Donation Image