Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to restrict response options in an matrix question?

How to restrict response options in an matrix question? 1 year 5 months ago #95381

• Einstein
  • Junior Lime
I´m trying to put up a form for a vote.

Bildschirmfoto2013-04-27um22.40.49.png

How can I restrict the response options in this matrix question? One should only be able give 1 x 1. Vote, 1 x 2. Vote, 1 x 3. Vote and 5 x No Vote. So nobody can give 2 or 3 1.Votes....

But also the other way round. It should only be possible to save the question if I have given a 1., 2. and 3. Vote.

Thank you for your help
Einstein
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to restrict response options in an matrix question? 1 year 5 months ago #95386

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 790
How about dropping the "No Vote" column and using the Array by column question type?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

How to restrict response options in an matrix question? 1 year 5 months ago #95408

• Einstein
  • Junior Lime
Hi,

i´ve tested the Array by column question type. That solves some problems but now I have some others.

How can I assure that one candidate can only get one vote and not 1., 2. and 3 Vote

Bildschirmfoto2013-04-29um10.47.50.png

Moreover I need to find a way to assign a score to each candidate according to the vote. 1.Vote is 3 points, 2. Vote is 2 points and 3. Vote is 1 point. I could interchange "vote" and "candidate" which might be the best thing, but then I´ll have to find a solution for the problem that several candidates can receive 1., 2,. and 3. votes. Any Ideas?

Bildschirmfoto2013-04-29um10.54.27.png

Thanks
Einstein

How to restrict response options in an matrix question? 1 year 5 months ago #95434

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 331
I guess this will require some Javascript and this is more tpartners area.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

How to restrict response options in an matrix question? 1 year 5 months ago #95438

• Einstein
  • Junior Lime
Thats what it looks like at the moment. Any simple ideas how assure that people can award only 3 votes in total. 1 first vote, 1 second vote and 1 third vote.

Bildschirmfoto2013-04-29um15.56.50.png

How to restrict response options in an matrix question? 1 year 5 months ago #95439

• bkgray
  • Fresh Lemon
The behavior you are describing sounds like a ranking question to me. Have you looked at that question type?

The presentation is different, but it will do what you want: each candidate can be selected no more than once, and no more than x candidates can be selected.

How to restrict response options in an matrix question? 1 year 5 months ago #95442

• Einstein
  • Junior Lime
That seems to work. Last challenge now (but crucial) is to find a way that the candidates get 3 points on 1.Rank, 2 points on 2. Rank, 1 point on the 3.Rank.

You know how to manage that?

Bildschirmfoto2013-04-29um17.51.34.png

How to restrict response options in an matrix question? 1 year 5 months ago #95443

• bkgray
  • Fresh Lemon
I'm not aware of a way to calculate total points on a ranking question within LimeSurvey. I would put the results into Excel and work with it there.
  • From the survey's front page, from the Responses menu choose Responses and statistics.
  • On the next screen, choose Get statistics from these responses (the pie-chart icon)
  • Select the fields you want, and select the output format to be Excel.
  • Click on View Stats.

You'll have to strip away some text and the percentages column, and re-arrange some data. After that some simple Excel formulas will give you what you need.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Donation Image