Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Importing from csv (from MS Access)

Importing from csv (from MS Access) 1 year 7 months ago #92564

• myquay
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi, I am currently tasked with determining if LimeSurvey can be used to collect and evaluate student evals for our training group. I have 2 quick questions in this regard.

1 ~ Is there a way to import responses from the MS Access db we've been using? The Access db structure is a little different than the LimeSurvey version I built but I don't mind the massage... I just can't figure a way to covert the Access responses to the VV file format.

2 ~ When looking at responses I've noticed that if I go from a narrowed filter view of one class to a wider view with all records, the text fields still only show the results of the narrowed search. (i.e. There are 15 records with "comments". If I select "Get statistics" for all records, I can see all 15 comments. Then I narrow the search to one instructor and I see only their 5 comments (so far so good)... The problem arises when I try to look at all records again. It will report correctly that there are 15 comments, but "browse" only show the 5 from the single instructor search)

3 ~ I know I said 2, but remembered a third. Our instructors travel and will have the students complete surveys to a copy of LimeSurvey on their laptops. Then we'd like to transfer those responses to a central LimeSurvey db for management. I have managed to duct tape engineer this with some massage of a VVExport so I can VVImport, but is there an easier way?

Thank you very much for a wonderful application. This is miles ahead of the other apps I'm looking at.

Mike
Sr. Tech Trainer
F5 Networks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Importing from csv (from MS Access) 1 year 7 months ago #92565

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 323
to 3: Why does LS have to be installed on every single laptop? Is there no network/internet connection where they could respond to a central Limesurvey server?

to 1: You'll probably have to bring your MS Access database into the Limesurvey format.

to 2: sounds weird and if this can be reproduced, it might be worth to file a bug report. Which version of LS are you on? 2.0?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The following user(s) said Thank You: myquay

Importing from csv (from MS Access) 1 year 7 months ago #92568

• myquay
  • Fresh Lemon
to 3 ~ We usually have no internet from customer sites. This one is the least of my worries though since I already have a workaround with just a little tweaking. (substitute the 2nd line of the VVExport from the source with a copy of the 2nd line of a VVExport made from the destination) If there's an easier way, I'll use it... But this is a non-issue.

to 1 ~ I can put all the fields in the same order with no big issue. It's importing the file once I've done that that I'm having an issue with.

to 2 ~ LS v2.0 ... I've replicated it with 3 separate browsers on 2 different laptops. If it's not a known issue I'd be glad to write it up in the bug tracker with screen-scrapes.

Thanks
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds
Donation Image