Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mandatory settings

Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89769

• NkemIku
  • Senior Lime
Hi,

I want to make some questions mandatory in my survey. But I soon discovered how annoying making the questions mandatory to participants can be when I was testing my survey, and if I missed a question, it wont let me move on-reading the same messages over and over again.

I do not want my participants to get annoyed and exit the survey, making my response rate low. My questions are:
1) if I choose to make my questions mandatory, is there a way that if the participant decides not to answer the question, they can just move forward?

2) if I do not make my questions mandatory, is there a pop up message I can insert into limesurvey which will read "We noticed that you did not respond to all the questions, if this was your intention, click next to move forward" or something like that.

Are either of these options available on LimeSurvey?

Thanks
Nkem.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89773

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 320
If you let people move on without answering the question is NOT mandatory.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89774

• NkemIku
  • Senior Lime
Hi,
Thank you for your response. I know if I dont set the questions as mandatory, my participants do not have to respond to every question. But is there another way apart from the mandatory setting to make sure my participants respond to all my questions?

Re: Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89776

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
No, I don't see any chance. Either they don't have to fill them out, then they can move on without filling them out. Or they are mandatory and then they can't move on without answering.

Do you have all questions on one page? Sounds like it. Because if you go for the question by question setting the mandatory questions are usually no big deal and it is easy to see what is missing.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89780

• NkemIku
  • Senior Lime
I know where the mandatory setting is. I just wanted to know if LimeSurvey was not limited just to that. My survey have over 300 questions, and I was thinking of making the crucial section mandatory-but having it partial mandatory. So what you are saying is that this is very black or white-I either set my questions as mandatory or not.

Re: Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89786

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hi Nkemlku,

A question can either be mandatory, then they have to fill it out in order to proceed.
Or it is not mandatory, then they fill it out or not.

To be honest, in this case I don't see any grey zone. It is either black, or it is white. Or do you see a way how it could be "a little bit mandatory"?

But of course not all questions of a questionnaire need to be mandatory.

I don't see how you would be able to make a question "partially mandatory".

What you could do (and I think there exist examples in the forum) is to give a warning if the question hasn't been filled out. But this would mean some custom JavaScript I think.

Re: Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89788

• NkemIku
  • Senior Lime
How can I create that message. I am not familiar with javascripts, but I will learn if you point me in the right direction.

Re: Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89797

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
I don't know how to do this, but I haven seen in the forum explications for similar approaches.

Have a look around in the forum among the responses of tpartner. I know it isn't easy to search, but I don't have more information.

Maybe you can also find something in the workaround section.

Re: Mandatory settings 1 year 9 months ago #89798

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team

Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
Donation Image