Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Open Text Field with Looping and Merging?

Open Text Field with Looping and Merging? 1 year 11 months ago #88500

Hi,

My name is Candace and I would like to use this software to carry out dissertation, but I am unsure if your software will be able to do what I need. Please let me know if it is possible to do the following:

When people enter the survey, they will be asked to enter a list of names (potentially bout 400-500 names). After they generate these list of names, I would like about 4 drop down bars to appear by each name with options. For example... if I entered John Doe, Jane Doe, Mike Brown, etc.... the next page would read

John Doe [drop down box 1] [box 2] [box 3] [box 4]
Jan Doe [box 1] [box2] [box 3] [box 4]
Mike Brown [box1] [box2] [box3] [box4]

Is this possible?

An alternative way, would be to allow people to input their list of names. Then on the next page allow them to drag and drop each name into a certain category. Then on the next page allow them to drag and drop each name into different category, etc. Is this possible?

If not, would it be possible for people to input their lists, and then generate an entirely new survey based on this list including the features I have described above?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

-Candace
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: Open Text Field with Looping and Merging? 1 year 11 months ago #88995

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
Looping is not supported. You would have to copy questions and use filter/conditions to mimic looping.

There was a LS2 feature planned with loop marker. I am unsure if that will be offered again in the rewrite of LS2.

Re: Aw: Open Text Field with Looping and Merging? 1 year 11 months ago #89034

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 844
Hello,

For firt solution, think there are included possibility. But 500 name is a very big question.
- 1st question : Multi text: code NAME, sub quetsion code N001,N002,N003 etc ....
- 2nd question : Array dual scale with dropdown set to YES, each subquestion text are {NAME_N001} , {NAME_N002} etc ...

After you can hide empty line with javascript, search the forum, there are some existing workaround.

For the second proposal: yes, you can do it BUT need a lot of javascripting work. You can do what you want with work.

Denis
PS: jelo: think Looping process explained for LS2 can be replaced with EM, no ?

Aw: Re: Aw: Open Text Field with Looping and Merging? 1 year 11 months ago #89036

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
DenisChenu wrote:
PS: jelo: think Looping process explained for LS2 can be replaced with EM, no ?

There is still an old document mentioning loop marker for LS2, but that was before the refactoring took place.

A real looping feature is not available in public versions (don't know the developer depositories). A simple looping feature consists of two anchor questions (loop start / loop stop) and a list, which will contain the item which will be replaced in the question texts. I don't see a solution without copying the questions. And that can cost a lot of time if need to correct questions afterwards. Real looping and dynicamic list building out of the box is missing.

EM introduced the qcode, which made duplicating surveys and parts of surveys a lot easier since you don't need to recode if the converting SGQA didn't worked properly.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Donation Image