Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: No checkbox for "other" option in "multiple options question type"

No checkbox for "other" option in "multiple options question type" 1 year 5 months ago #87689

• kagerskov
  • Fresh Lemon
I am using the "multiple option" question and have enabled the "other" option.

But no checkbox is shown in front of the "other" category, only the label and a textbox. This is a problem when wanting to show a specific question if the "other" options has been selected. The condition of the specific question can only see the options that is NOT the "other" option.

How can I show a specific question only if the "other" option is selected?
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: No checkbox for "other" option in "multiple options question type" 1 year 5 months ago #87692

• tfj
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 6
kagerskov:

I have noticed the same issue with the multiple choice question type and solved it with a workaround that is also more helpful to our data analysts.

Instead of using the "Other option" in the multiple choice question, I manually add the subquestion "Other" with a code that is consistent with the codes for the other subquestions.

Then, I add a separate short free text question that says something like "Please specify the other you chose above:" and make it conditional upon the previous multiple choice question option of "Other."

This way, all of the codes within the field of the multiple choice question are consistent with each other and it makes the data analysts' jobs a little easier.

I hope this helps.

tfj

Re: No checkbox for "other" option in "multiple options question type" 1 year 5 months ago #87699

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 715
Hello,

You can use: {QCODE_other!=""}

Re: No checkbox for "other" option in "multiple options question type" 1 year 5 months ago #87722

• kagerskov
  • Fresh Lemon
tfj: Your method works. But I was hoping to avoid the extra subquestion.

DenisChenu: Where would you insert {QCODE_other!=""}. It is not showing in the condition list. And it does not save this if I hardcode it into the relevans equation.

Re: No checkbox for "other" option in "multiple options question type" 1 year 5 months ago #87726

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 715
kagerskov wrote:
DenisChenu: Where would you insert {QCODE_other!=""}. It is not showing in the condition list. And it does not save this if I hardcode it into the relevans equation.
To use relevance equation input text, you have to remove condition.

If you use gui condition editor, it remove the text in relevance equation text input.

Re: No checkbox for "other" option in "multiple options question type" 1 year 5 months ago #87730

• kagerskov
  • Fresh Lemon
DenisChenu: Thanks that worked! Inserted ((q11_07_00_other != "")) in the relevance equation after deleteing the existing condition.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
Donation Image