Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is there a way to autopopulate or auto-fill a survey?

Is there a way to autopopulate or auto-fill a survey? 2 years 1 month ago #87024

I'm looking for a way to autopopulate a survey so that I can obtain some test data, check data flows logic, etc... In the end, I'm working on some reporting features based on the data. Consequently, the data itself isn't vitally important; rather, having a good-sized pile of data (bogus is fine) to work with is important.

What I'd like to do is create X number of survey records (for the sake of simplicity, let's assume 1,000 completed surveys). The data doesn't have to make sense logically - rather, I simply need the data to be acceptable / in the right range (for example, an 11pt ranking question should have values from 0-10; text questions should have text (lorum ipsum is fine...).

I know the big commercial survey tools have this feature & functionality. I'm hoping that someone has created a tool for LS or can point me to an open-source & free tool that does this kinda thing.

My other option is rolling up the sleeves for some esoteric sql coding but I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by McdanielMackenzie. Reason: Me spell poorlee
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Is there a way to autopopulate or auto-fill a survey? 2 years 1 month ago #87045

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 867
Hello,

You can : Add an answer, export VV files, fill a "lot of line" with LibreOfficeCalc, maybe with some change with alea.

Denis

Re: Is there a way to autopopulate or auto-fill a survey? 1 year 5 months ago #96974

• dweisser
  • Bronze Donor
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi all,
I am having trouble with this as well.

1) I download the .vv file.
2) I open it in Excel (which I think may be my problem.)
3) Add answers without changing structure.
4) Save as a .txt, ensuring that it is encoded utf8.
5) Import the text file.

Result:
The result is that the import is "successful" only none of the data, including the submit date, are present when I browse responses. It is as though LimeSurvey knows there is a record there, but can;t seem to read it.

I solved this problem by changing the extension from .csv to .txt when downloading the file from LimeSurvey. I made my changes, saved the file as a .txt - again enuring that it would save from Excel as UTF 8 format (In Excel 2010 on Save screen under tools>web options). And, it worked like a charm.

I hope this helps some one with test responses or test records for their surveys.
Nebraska David
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by dweisser. Reason: Solved

Re: Is there a way to autopopulate or auto-fill a survey? 1 year 5 months ago #96982

• dweisser
  • Bronze Donor
  • Thank you received: 5
Actually...
I thought all was well.
I am able to add test records without problem. That is for all questions except one.
It is a List Radio Style question...the second of this type on the survey. I expert the .txt file as described above...and re-import it directly in order to test my sanity.

All data is imported correctly...except for that single question.
It only imports and stores the code value, but when you browse the responses, it doesn't associate it with the answer text as it does in EVERY other case. It was the last item on the survey, so I added one to see if somehow that was a factor...it wasn't.

Any ideas?
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
Donation Image