Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can I add "Other" option in Array type questions?

Can I add "Other" option in Array type questions? 2 years 2 months ago #86101

Dear All

I am using Array type question to rate a few options on Important, Neutral, Not Important likert scale. Options are:

Salary
Education
Family
etc

at the end I want to allow users to add some other option and rate it on the above mentioned scale. But In array type questions, "Other" option is not available.

Any idea to handle this situation?

Ata
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can I add "Other" option in Array type questions? 2 years 2 months ago #86110

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 386
What you could do is to ask for the "other" in a question before and then pipe the response as an answer item to the array question. This means an additional question, but I think it could be a solution.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Can I add "Other" option in Array type questions? 2 years 2 months ago #86118

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Here is an example of what holch describes. Although it allows rating of a custom set of products, you could use that approach and array-filter to allow for multiple "other" options.

Re: Can I add "Other" option in Array type questions? 2 years 2 months ago #86123

• JTilt
  • Fresh Lemon
I have almost the exact same question. The suggestion given is a good one but may not be very practical. In my case, I have a whole list of sub-questions (or items) that respondents will be rating on a Likert scale. Asking first for the "other" option, may have respondents listing items that are already in the array question that follows. For example, if I ask "How important are the following items when choosing a where to go on vacation?" A list of factors rated on a 1-5 scale may include price, location, things to do, etc. If I start the question with "What items are important to you when choosing where to go on vacation. Respondents will most likely list items that are already in the array question.

What I would like to know if there is a way to include a row at the very bottom of the array question that is marked "other" and allows for the respondent to write in a response or factor then rate that new factor on the likert scale.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
Donation Image