Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Limit number of survey responses

Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77616

• scd1982
  • Fresh Lemon
Forgive the ignorance here. I'm brand new to LimeSurvey as of today, so I'm sure there is a lot for me to learn.
I'd like to be able to limit the number of responses I receive to a survey, to 1, 5, 10, etc. depending on how many responses I want per survey.
For example, I'm running several giveaway contests. Depending on the giveaway, there could be only 1 item, 5 items, etc to giveaway. I want the survey to act as the form someone would enter their contact info in order to win the giveaway, and display a "survey/giveaway contest closed" message after the limit has been reached. If only 1 item is available, I don't person #2 to enter their info, with a success message at the end, thinking they won.
Any ideas?
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by scd1982.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77621

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 818
Hello,

Easy workaround:
First : add a question List (radio) with GoOn / Quota
Second : set the default value to GoOn
Third : add a text question with a little script:
<script>$("#questionQQQ").hide()</script>
(replace QQQ by the question number)
Fourth: set a quota to the default answer.
You can see a working example here : demonstration.sondages.pro/67142/lang-fr It's in french but it work.

You can hide to the question in CSS.

It's not very secure, to have something really secure, need some PHP dev.

Denis

Re: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77698

• scd1982
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks for the tip.
I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself here though. I'll need to read through the instructions first to familiarize myself with everything before I can attempt what you're suggesting.
Thanks again!

Aw: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77718

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
scd1982 wrote:
I'd like to be able to limit the number of responses I receive to a survey, to 1, 5, 10, etc. depending on how many responses I want per survey.
For example, I'm running several giveaway contests. Depending on the giveaway, there could be only 1 item, 5 items, etc to giveaway.
This sounds like the "garage sale feature" described at the third section of this post one www.limesurvey-consulting.com.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77732

• scd1982
  • Fresh Lemon
So, if I understand the quotas correctly, I can set a question to say something like "I agree to the terms and conditions of this contest/giveaway". The question type would be Yes/No, and the quota can be set to 1, 5, etc. "Yes" response(s).
Once someone submits a survey and agrees to the terms and conditions, the quota should be met, and no additional responses should be allowed, correct?

Re: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77848

• scd1982
  • Fresh Lemon
OK, I attempted what I suggested a couple days ago, and it doesn't quite work correctly. Here's what I did:
  • Set up a survey with 1 question group, and 3 questions.
  • First two questions are short free text fields, and the last is a list (radio).
  • The list (radio) question is what my quota is based on. It gives users 2 choices (agree/disagree), and the default answer is set to "agree".
  • The quota is set with the following settings: limit (1), terminate survey with a warning, no autoload URL, quota message "Sorry this item has already been claimed", answer is set to agree.
When I activate the survey, and fill it out for the first time, I would expect that I would receive the ending success message (since I selected agree). Instead, it gives me the quota message. When I check the responses & statistics menu, there is only one response to the survey.

I then decided to delete all survey responses, and increased the quota to 2 just to see what happens. Now, instead of the quota message, I receive the end message (this is good). If I take the survey a second time, I also (correctly) receive the end message. When I take the survey a third time, I (incorrectly) receive the end message, and not the quota message.

These quotas don't seem to be working at all. Or maybe I don't understand them they way they are described here: docs.limesurvey.org/quotas&highlight=quota

Re: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77882

• tpartner
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 789
Can you attach the test survey?
Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

LimeSurvey is open-source and run entirely by volunteers so please consider donating to support the project.

Re: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77926

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
Which Limesurvey version do you use?

You can test if this is fixed at the latest version by testing our online demo which always runs the latest Limesurvey version.
Username: admin
Password: test
If you can reproduce the problem there please report back.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #77958

• scd1982
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi, I am using LimeSurvey Version 1.92+ Build 120325

I was able to re-create half of the problem on the demo site as you suggested (demo survey here: demo.limesurvey.org/index.php?sid=94467&lang=en In the admin panel, it is listed as "scd test survey").
For a quota of 1, after the first response it provided the quota message, not the end message as expected. However, when I deleted the first response, and increased the quota to two, the survey and quota worked as expected (displayed the correct end message after the first response, and the quota message after the second, third, etc. responses).

I'm not sure why it doesn't like the quota being set to 1??

PS: I reset the survey responses, and the quota limit back to 1.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by scd1982. Reason: PS update

Re: Limit number of survey responses 2 years 5 months ago #78121

• scd1982
  • Fresh Lemon
I hate to bump this, but has anyone been able to see if I did something wrong with the survey, or if there's a bug?
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
Donation Image