Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Survey for our site

Survey for our site 2 years 6 months ago #76830

I'm the one running the site at
www*planetarybillofrights*org/TakeOurPollofthe2012Candidates.html
and am not happy with these "free polls" I've found on Google.

I'm looking for one similar to the one there now, but which would show users the results in graphic format ( for example a bar graph on this one ) without a big monthly fee. ( this is a brand new organization with NO funding at all yet ).

Can LimeSurvey do that?
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by DenisChenu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: Survey for our site 2 years 6 months ago #76952

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
Hello,

if you want to use LimeSurvey on your own server you should check if you meet the requirements:
docs.limesurvey.org/Installation

If you host LimeSurvey on your server there's nothing like a fee, LimeSurvey is Open Source and you can use it for free.

LimeSurvey can create a question like this (or even a multiple numeric input or array question). LimeSurvey can also show public statistics but you might run into a few problems

- LimeSurvey doesn't support graphs for multiple numeric input questions
- For most questions LimeSurvey uses pie charts. Only multiple choice questions can use bar charts

When creating graphs it is a good idea to have fixed answers so you can create a useful diagramm. So it might be an idea to create e.g. an array question and only allow users to choose fixed values from 1 to 10 or from 10 to 100. It might look like this:

Question:

peoplesurveyquestion.jpg

Statistics:

peoplesurvey.jpg
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team

Re: Aw: Survey for our site 2 years 6 months ago #77011

Thanks Steve.

I thought LimeSurvey was software that I could download and run here, and generate code to put on my site, but it appears that it needs to be hosted at a site that supports PHP? The *Planetary*Bill*Of*Rights*/ site is a simple one, hosted at an ISP, and doesn't support PHP unfortunately.

I'm doing the site with CoffeeCup Visual Site Designer ( VSD ).

I also needed to state the question and ask for a numerical answer, like if someone wants to say 27 on a scale of 0-100. Then show average percentages in either graphical, or at least numerical results, afterwards.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by DenisChenu. Reason: Spam ? Think yes.

Re: Aw: Survey for our site 2 years 5 months ago #77032

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 818
Melissa2012B wrote:
it appears that it needs to be hosted at a site that supports PHP?
Yep,

It's on the instalation requirement.

Re: Aw: Survey for our site 2 years 5 months ago #77033

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 323
For any website that should generate and process data dynamically, you will need some kind of server side scripting, like PHP. However, getting hosting with PHP should be pretty easy and relatively cheap. Finding a Host that doesn't support PHP is probably more difficult to find one that does. Limesurvey is a server software that needs to run on a webserver that supports PHP and Mysql (seems to run with other databases as well, but is probably more complicated).
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
Donation Image